OMS HID vs Greenforce HID

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GregV

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm ready to purchase my first can light and was looking at the OMS Phantom 10w HID
and the Greenforce 10w HID 50 pro. Someone told me that a narrow beam does better
at penetrating if there is alot of silt or debris in the water and a wider beam is best suited for clear water.

The OMS Phantom has a 6 degree beam and the Greenforce HID 50 pro has a 13 degree beam. I dive alot in inland lakes and quarrys which seems to always have particulate matter in the water.

I like the Greenforce because of the ability to change light heads as my needs change,
where as with the OMS Phantom there is only one light head.

Since these lights are not cheap I want make and informed purchase and get the right light, I'm a little lost in all the technical facts and figures presented on their websites.

Any help you all could provide me will be greatly appreciated.

Any reason why these are the only two lights you're looking at?

There are some other good lights that you didn't list. The diverite is a decent light as is the Salvo. I think the Salvo is the best on the market. I am a dealer for diverite, OMS, and Salvo. If I can help you with any of those let me know. Out of the two you listed the OMS is better in my opinion.

Brent

Your information is correct about the narrow beam cutting thru low vis better. My light is adjustable, however, I keep it at the narrowest adjustment about 90% of the time. A wide angle does better when taking pictures or shooting video in caves.
6* makes a nice beam. good luck

I'm torn between the OMS and Green Force as well. So I'll be watching this thread

GregV:
I'm ready to purchase my first can light and was looking at the OMS Phantom 10w HID
and the Greenforce 10w HID 50 pro. Someone told me that a narrow beam does better
at penetrating if there is alot of silt or debris in the water and a wider beam is best suited for clear water.

The OMS Phantom has a 6 degree beam and the Greenforce HID 50 pro has a 13 degree beam. I dive alot in inland lakes and quarrys which seems to always have particulate matter in the water.

I like the Greenforce because of the ability to change light heads as my needs change,
where as with the OMS Phantom there is only one light head.

Since these lights are not cheap I want make and informed purchase and get the right light, I'm a little lost in all the technical facts and figures presented on their websites.

Any help you all could provide me will be greatly appreciated.

Hi Greg,

Thanks for your interest in Green Force.

Just so you know you can get our 10 watt HID (HID 50) with a 6 degree bulb, there is no diference in cost. From reading your message, I think this should help make your decision. If you have any questions, let me know.

Thanks - Greg

Can't comment on OMS but after breaking 5 HID bulbs in a diverite. MR11 Diverite would not stand behind their product and even though they knew breakage was a problem and changed the head design I had to pony up $100 for each HID bulb.I sold it and bought a greenforce. I have used and abused it for a year now without any problems.

I own a Green Force and find it to be an awesome light. So far I have only dove it in very clear waters (Hawaii), but the performance to date has exceeded my expectations.

Thanks for all the info, I'll take a look at Salvo lights as well. I'm looking at making a purchase in the next month or so, right now I'm kinda leaning to with the Greenforce due to the wide range of options with these lights.

Sartek is another great choice. They are also making a great light.

Back
Top Bottom