OMS Going under?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Boogie711:
OMS's tanks are Fabers. Their bottom timer is an Uwatec. Their shears are Fiskars. They're not 'ordering stuff to their spec.' They're merely rebadging existing product.
OK boogie. You hate OMS products, and you think they're crap. Does that mean you also dislike Uwatec, Fiskar, and Faber?

Rebadging is also part of the capitalistic business practice you defend. It's called rebranding. I'll give you that one for free.

Boxers or briefs ...who cares?

I've got, in no particular order, OMS, Ikelite, Halcyon, Dive Rite, Scuba Pro, Apeks, Poseidon, Luxfer, PST, Beauchat, Uwatec, Draeger, Apollo, Thermo, etc gear. If i don't like it or the company, i don't buy it. Life is simple for me that way i guess. Only complication is i have way too much gear. :wink:

Personally, i have rarely been disappointed with any of these manufacturers products including a pair of Boogie spring straps.

No one here is saying Halcyon is a great company.. frankly, I don't know what Halcyon has to do with anything. No one is saying that OMS products are crap, either.

You keep setting up these straw men... and no one is falling for it. OMS is slimy, and all of Boogie's reasons for disliking the company were very valid. You're welcome to dislike other companies for similar reasons, I don't care.

jonnythan:
No one is saying their bladders are going to fall apart.
I own a Halcyon wing and an OMS wing. I can tell you this straight up - the Halcyon inflator leaks, even within days of being rebuilt, the wing material feels inferior, and the logo is falling off. My OMS wing has many more dives on it and hasn't needed a thing, and the material is much better. It's obvious when you put them next to each other.

BTW, for the people that want everyone to believe otherwise: OMS makes wings without bungees, they offer short inflater hoses, and I can't find where they say to use a 100lb wing with a single.

jonnythan:
You actually need to give a company money in order to decide that you think they're slimy and don't wantt o do business with them?

No one is saying their bladders are going to fall apart.. people are saying they dislike the company, its practices, and marketing.

To be objective, I can't find nothing slimy about OMS, maybe the marketing is a little offline (trashing other brands), but everyone does it.
I don't fall for marketing, I like to research and compare options and read carefully what they have to say about their product, then I decide if I like it or not.
if posible, I would like to compare similar items side by side and decide on material quality and craftmanship, to me cost is not an issue as long I get a quality product.

Take for example Oxycheq, before I joined this board, I'd never heard about them, after reading about them here in SB I decided to check their gear, and you know what, I decided to buy the tight pocket that they offer, I got one from DR a couple of yrs back and I hate from day one the elastic bands, so I'm getting the OC 'cause they use a better retention system.

My point is that I don't label brands anyway, I just try them and make my own mind. If any manufacturer doesn't honor their warranty, I'll be the first to trash them in public, based on my experience or a close friend experience.

As said before, so far I'm happy with OMS, DR and Halcyon, Oxycheq will be graded based on the coming purchase.

Oxy's thigh pocket is much better than DR's I have both and I agree completely with your feelings on the DR. On the other hand the DR pocket is larger (which I prefer) and will fit a slightly larger thigh. the oxy is tight (even tighter) then DR's. I need to find a good mod for the DR pocket. Oxy makes great wings, also with working inflators. I'm with mempilot on the OMS wings, I have two of the non-bungee OMS wings, 45lb and 60lb they are top notch -superior bar none!

This thread needs to be closed. Someone just felt like dragging OMS through the mud once again. Reopening a thread this old to start a brand slam is worse than any marketing I've seen on OMS's website.

mempilot:
Actually, I could probably find a few dozen places where Boogie mentions this in other threads in the past.

Mem - you and I get along OK, but you're wrong. I challenge you to either produce a few dozen places where I say the workmenship for OMS is shoddy.

Nowhere in my now infamous four reasons I dislike OMS do I talk about workmanship. It's about shoddy customer service, horrible philosophy, hypocrisy and deceptive marketing.

Mandy - my avatar picture is actually a copy of a photo which appeared in the local newspaper the day after New Years, when on a slow news day (New Years Day, duh) we had done a fundraising scuba dive for the Canadian Cancer Society. The newspaper photographer gave me and my dive buddy a waterproof camera and asked us to take some pics - that thing in my hand is a button with the CCS logo.

Boogie,

I was in a bad mood earlier. My shoulder is pissing me off. I'll edit that out if it will still let me. I think I was thinking about a time ago when you and I debated this before. No hard feelings chap.

MEM

mempilot:
This thread needs to be closed. Someone just felt like dragging OMS through the mud once again. Reopening a thread this old to start a brand slam is worse than any marketing I've seen on OMS's website.

Ask and you shall receive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom