OMS Going under?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
cornfed:
This thread is a perfect example of why threads should automatically be closed after a certain period of inactivity.

I dunno Drew ... seems like a good way to create some excitement on an otherwise dull day ... :eyebrow:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I enjoyed the read.
But my last post was to sarcastic.
So I deleted it.
Thanks for the entertainment. :)

fgray1:
I enjoyed the read.
But my last post was to sarcastic.
So I deleted it.
Damn, I should have quote the whole thing. :wink:

In my opinion, OMS makes excellent gear, my rig is a OMS bungied wing, yes they have told me all the BS about the bungies and bad service and blah blah blah, and you know what, I like the gear a lot.
Acording to Boggie, I think that my stuff is better than everything, well, I won't go that far as saying is the best, but in my opinion is the best for my diving.

Boggie is oviously mad at OMS 'cause they got a SAFETY ADVISORY trashing the spring straps.
http://www.omsdive.com/news2.html

Sorry Boggie, OMS is not going under, it's growing stronger and making better gear each year, they're even hiring DIR oriented staff members to help design DIR oriented gear, maybe some DIR folks will commit the capital crime of buying OMS gear in the near future.
http://www.omsdive.com/news.html

Mandy3206:
Boggie is oviously mad at OMS 'cause they got a SAFETY ADVISORY trashing the spring straps.
Actually, IMO, it's that kind of stupid thing that makes me [as well as others] dislike OMS. The picture is just silly to the extreme.

It's right up there with the idiotic way they photoshopped a very fake Halcyon logo onto a picture of a backplate to show webbing abrasion. The picture is still on their site and is in very very poor taste.

Mandy3206:
In my opinion, OMS makes excellent gear, my rig is a OMS bungied wing, yes they have told me all the BS about the bungies and bad service and blah blah blah, and you know what, I like the gear a lot.
Acording to Boggie, I think that my stuff is better than everything, well, I won't go that far as saying is the best, but in my opinion is the best for my diving.

http://www.omsdive.com/news2.html

Sorry Boggie, OMS is not going under, it's growing stronger and making better gear each year, they're even hiring DIR oriented staff members to help design DIR oriented gear, maybe some DIR folks will commit the capital crime of buying OMS gear in the near future.
http://www.omsdive.com/news.html

That's great Mandy. I'm glad you like your gear.

Tell me - what OMS gear do you like that is actually manufactured by OMS?

There are very few labels that manufacture their own products these days. This is so in every business. Labels are just that. Most companies contract the manufacturing out using their own specs. It's not cost effective to try and manufacture anything yourself. I can't think of a any buisness that makes all their products in house these days. Some might assemble them in house but the parts are made else where. Even boggies springs are just assembled not manufactured by him.
I see no problem with any of it either. Their warrenty policy seems fair enough to me as well.

OK, but if you want to take the spring strap analogy another step, the difference is that I don't take Halcyon or Fifth Dimension's Spring Straps and call them mine. Mine are all individually assembled 'in house.'

OMS's tanks are Fabers. Their bottom timer is an Uwatec. Their shears are Fiskars. They're not 'ordering stuff to their spec.' They're merely rebadging existing product.

That being said, maybe they make the wings or the Phantom can light - I honestly don't know.

And if you want to talk about "Their warrenty policy seems fair enough to me as well..." there's a thread on TDS right now about a guy who had a problem with his OMS gear and had to wait 11 weeks for repairs. 11 weeks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom