OMS Going under?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Boogie711:
OK, but if you want to take the spring strap analogy another step, the difference is that I don't take Halcyon or Fifth Dimension's Spring Straps and call them mine. Mine are all individually assembled 'in house.'

OMS's tanks are Fabers. Their bottom timer is an Uwatec. Their shears are Fiskars. They're not 'ordering stuff to their spec.' They're merely rebadging existing product.

That being said, maybe they make the wings or the Phantom can light - I honestly don't know.

And if you want to talk about "Their warrenty policy seems fair enough to me as well..." there's a thread on TDS right now about a guy who had a problem with his OMS gear and had to wait 11 weeks for repairs. 11 weeks!

They all do the same thing. In your case assembled is the key word. There are only a hand full of companies that make computers. there are only a hand full of companies that make tanks, wetsuits, regs, valves, drysuits, and so on. Most time they are contracted to make the product and just stick whatever brand name the contract calls for. The same is true for your home PC or your TV and even your coffee maker. This doesn't make them bad. As far as warrenty goes. It starts with the dealer. I'm sure there are 2 sides to the story.
Enough said. You don't like OMS and you are entitled to your opinion.
I feel the same way about some of the other manufactures and I'm entitled to mine.
I'm just glad they are all still in business because competition keeps the prices down and the quality up. And this is good for us.

Boogie711:
That's great Mandy. I'm glad you like your gear.

Tell me - what OMS gear do you like that is actually manufactured by OMS?

Well, to be honest with you, I don't know what manufacturers they use, I'm putting my money with my dealer (Austin's in Miami), so far they have complied with every request that I had, I buy my Dive Rite, Halcyon and OMS gear from them, and Dennis is a great guy who goes the extra mile to please his clients.

As long as I have good service and the dealer treat me right, I'll keep on buying from them.

Boggie, on another note, what is that thing you're holding with your hand in your avatar, can't figure out what it is and I'm just curious about it, thanks
Mandy

:) :) :) :)

jonnythan:
Actually, IMO, it's that kind of stupid thing that makes me [as well as others] dislike OMS. The picture is just silly to the extreme.

It's right up there with the idiotic way they photoshopped a very fake Halcyon logo onto a picture of a backplate to show webbing abrasion. The picture is still on their site and is in very very poor taste.

I agree that to boost your product, you don't have to trash other brands, but that is done every day with many other products on diferent markets.

That's called Savage Capitalism

To me what counts is that you must get what you pay for and in my case I like gear manufactured with the best materials available and warranty is a big issue too.

For those of you who don't like OMS, how many pieces of OMS gear have you owned or used? As I've said elsewhere on this board, I've owned bladders by Halcyon, Dive Rite (which I currently use), OMS, and Zeagle, and all were top quality.

You actually need to give a company money in order to decide that you think they're slimy and don't wantt o do business with them?

No one is saying their bladders are going to fall apart.. people are saying they dislike the company, its practices, and marketing.

FYI or FWIW Getting line caught in the spring strap can happen. I know two cavers that have expeienced this more than once. OMS is a fine company with great product line and their inflators actually work too.

jonnythan:
You actually need to give a company money in order to decide that you think they're slimy and don't wantt o do business with them?

No one is saying their bladders are going to fall apart.. people are saying they dislike the company, its practices, and marketing.
I dislike a company, it's practices, and marketing, not OMS though.

NWGratefulDiver:
I dunno Drew ... seems like a good way to create some excitement on an otherwise dull day ...
Sometimes dull is good.

I could easily argue that Halcyon has knowingly used inexperienced 20-something divers to ignorantly badmouth rival companies... Talk about bad marketing, and clear evidence that a little knowledge is a dangerous thing... Yet I wouldn't say, after owning several pieces of Halcyon gear, that they produce bad products.

Again, among those who dislike OMS merchandise, what gear have you used or owned to form a rational opinion about their quality or lack thereof?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom