OMS Evoque and Airstream reg and 1st stage?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

UTscuba

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I've seen these going cheap in a couple of places recently but can't find any reviews of either.

I'm aware there was a safety recall back in '17, but I assume that those presently being sold have been modified/fixed and whatever the recall was should no longer be an issue.

Specifically looking to use them on a set of AL80 twins I've been building and for intro to tech/tech 40

Does anyone have any experience or advice before I buy a set and wind up the subject of a post in 'Accidents and Incidents'

thanks

thanks, the one person I was hoping was going to chime in :)

appreciate the reply

edit: what's the problem with OMS? I have their fins and love them

thanks, the one person I was hoping was going to chime in :)

appreciate the reply

edit: what's the problem with OMS? I have their fins and love them

their new corporate overlords have made the company very strange to deal with. DUI is experiencing the same problem *same parent company*. After the acquisition, the brand is just not what it used to be. Hard to find service centers for them as well and I have heard from several buddies that parts kits have been hard to come by at times. Similar issues to the Huish takeover for their sub-brands.

How cheap are they that you're looking at them over a more generic style regulator?

Hard to find service centers for them as well

I'm starting to find this with Hollis too, and I'm pretty heavily invested there. Three of the Hollis shops I used to know aren't dealing with them any more and I've heard issues with finding service kits for regs

edit: as you said, Huish

How cheap are they that you're looking at them over a more generic style regulator?

first stage $150 second stage $90 which seems a pretty good deal

@UTscuba Deep6 is only $20 more for a first and second stage, but includes the first service for free... Cheaper total cost of ownership there. @Deep Six and @Deep6Gear have really gone above and beyond to try to offer the best value regulator out there.

I've breathed off of one for a short time in a pool. Not sure if the one I used was incorrectly tuned but at least resistance setting it was not breathable as it felt like a pump shoving air down your throat. Backed off the adjustment, it was fine but I dont think it's as smooth as my Atomic or an Apeks. Given Deep6's reputation and price point, I would get those over the OMS regulators. Second stage looks greatly resembles a Hollis second stage.

I've breathed off of one for a short time in a pool. Not sure if the one I used was incorrectly tuned but at least resistance setting it was not breathable as it felt like a pump shoving air down your throat. Backed off the adjustment, it was fine but I dont think it's as smooth as my Atomic or an Apeks. Given Deep6's reputation and price point, I would get those over the OMS regulators. Second stage looks greatly resembles a Hollis second stage.

who's second stage looks like a Hollis?

OMS Evoke second stage resembles a Hollis second stage (at least to me). If I recall correctly, the knob had a clutch mechanism. Hence you could rotate it infinitely. It makes a clicking noise when you reach the max/min points where on a Scubapro or Atomic, you can no longer rotate the knob.

Does this sound like the operation of a Hollis second stage?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom