Looking for some regulator troubleshooting and advice on buying replacements

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am considering the DGX Gears Xtra, Dive Rite XT, and Atomic Z2 (ScubaPro is out of my budget). I am looking for a sealed 1st stage, ideally with 5 LP ports and a swivel turret (better for a doubles configuration), and a two-year service interval. I’d prefer a piston 1st stage
I suggest that you keep Scubapro as one possibilty.
The Mk17 evo is sealed diaphragm and the hose position is optimized for two regs on a twin set, without the hassle of a swivel. Two of them are way less than 1000 bucks, if you buy on Ebay:
RO1 01 Scubapro Erogatore MK17 Evo G260 DIN300 + bag erogatore | eBay
If instead you want to switch to piston, the MK25 is a bit more expensive (400 € instead of 360 €) but still inside your budget: RO1 00 Scubapro Erogatore MK25 Evo G260 DIN300 | eBay

Hello all,

I’ve been using an OMS Airstream Evoque reg set as my primary - recently I transitioned to a doubles set up so now I have two OMS regs. I often have free flow issues at the surface with both 2nd stages, even when the Venturi lever is set on “pre-dive” mode - my back-up 2nd stage has the air flow knob all the way set to low.

The second part of my issue is that I am looking to enter the tec diving world within the next 12 months so if my current regs can’t be “fixed”....I am looking for a sealed 1st stage, ideally with 5 LP ports and a swivel turret (better for a doubles configuration), and a two-year service interval. I’d prefer a piston 1st stage as I’ve only used diaphragm up to this point but could go either way.

Thanks for reading, any insight would be appreciated.

To your first question, it sounds like there might be IP creep in your OMS regs. It would be a good idea for you to get a basic understanding of how all regulators work if you don't now have that. The first stage has a valve that closes automatically when pressure inside the reg (from the tank) builds to IP (intermediate pressure). Basically it's the 1st stage's job to stop the high pressure air from the tank and only release it to the 2nd stage at a much lower set pressure, which is IP. If this valve starts to leak, which is common, the air pressure going to the 2nd stage begins to 'creep' up and that causes free flows.

You should know that OMS generally has (or has had, I don't keep up with it) a terrible reputation for customer service and quality in the technical diving world. They certainly do not manufacture their regs, they must be re-branded from some other company. It might be interesting to find out what your OMS regs really are.

To your 2nd question, if you are looking for sealed piston regs, Atomic might be your best bet. They're excellent and the company has a very good reputation for customer service. The less expensive models are perfectly fine. But if your main concern is sealed 1st stages, you have more options with diaphragm regulators. I'm not sure you need sealed regs for water in the 50s. 30s and very low 40s, sure, but good technique in water in the 50s should definitely prevent any icing.

Back
Top Bottom