Oms Bc

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tekkie

Reaction score
Hey,
I have a few questions about an OMS bunggied wing. Yes I know all about "bunggied wings of death."
Here are my questions:

1. Do the bunggies eventually wear out on the wing?

2. Is it possable to get "stuck" on anything wile diving the bunggied wing?

3. Is it possable to take off some of the bunggies or loosen them?

4. I am only diving singles right now, but I eventually want to dive dubbles. Would it be safe to dive the bunggied OMS wing with a single tank(I could still swim to the surface even with no bc because i would have an alumnium tank), then buy a dry suite to dive with dubbles ( I would need one anyways for dubbles?)

5. If the bc does get puncured will the bunggies suqeez all of the air out?

6. Are OMS wings as puncture resistant as halcyon wings?

7. Should I just stop wasting my time and get an halcyon wing?

I ask this because I don't really want to pay $550 of a halcyon setup, then get another wing for dubbles, it would be alot cheeper just to get one wing. Has anyone died because of "bunggied wings of death" I havent herd of anything. I'm not talking about a dubble bladder here so don't even ask. One more thing can I dive singles with a halcyon dubbles bc or would it flop too much?

Thx
Tekkie

I need some help ;-0 and yes i am too lasey to go to my LDS.

1) I would think they do. They are rubber and rubber does wear out eventually.

2)This is one big point of contention. I don't believe so. They are tight around the wing. It would be difficult to get something lodged under one. Appearances and fact are two different things.

3). Yes you can take them off. Yes you can loosen them. The owner is required to put them on. Read and follow the directions.

4)Yes, I do it all the time. Its a little easier with a STA.

5)No. Net Dock has personal experience with this one

6)I don't know

7)Thats your decision. I'm sure some people would say yes though.

TwoBit

Generally, wings that are designed for doubles are wider and tend to wrap around a single tank. Sometimes this is called "taco". This condition makes it difficult to empty air from the wing.

The best solution is to have two wings, but this is expensive.

Bungees may provide some control over tank wrap. The Dive Rite Trek and Rec wings have a removable bungee. These wings are advertised as being suitable for both single and double tanks. If you shop around, either of these wings can be had for under $200.

Something to think about: Doubles are not just not more air on the same old dive. They are used for applications like planned decompression or cave diving. There is a lot more expense here than just another wing for 2 or 3 hundred bucks.

Also, with the new E-series tanks on the way, it is possible to exceed the capacity of twin 72's in a single. Of course this gets to issues like redundancy, y-valves, and so forth.

If doubles are not on your immediate horizon, buy a system that works best with singles.

Get the Halcyon. My OMS wings got a hole in them after two years and not in a spot thats easy to fix. I was looking to get a Halcyon any way so I had my excuse:wink:
If you have a chance look at a Halcyon bladder compaired to the OMS one, The OMS bladder looks like a heavy duty sandwich baggie. I dive mostly doubles and hav the 55# wing but I also use the same wing with a single it will work fine .

A diver on a recent liveaboard had a minor emergency with OMS wings. His dump valve pullcord "somehow" (read: unintentionally and unnoticed) got tucked under a bungee during gearup, and on entering the water, his BC would not remain inflated because his pulldump was stuck open! Luckily he was able to identify and solve the problem in the water... on the way to the bottom with a set of doubles mind you.

1. Do the bunggies eventually wear out on the wing?

I've seen some where it looked like the bungies were putting a lot of stress on the wing fabric. It's possible. When inflated, the bungies but a lot of stress on the material.

2. Is it possable to get "stuck" on anything wile diving the bunggied wing?

It does increased the chance of entanglements.

3. Is it possable to take off some of the bunggies or loosen them?

Yes, the bungies are optional although it seems like all of them would be needed to help prevent air trapping.

4. I am only diving singles right now, but I eventually want to dive dubbles. Would it be safe to dive the bunggied OMS wing with a single tank(I could still swim to the surface even with no bc because i would have an alumnium tank), then buy a dry suite to dive with dubbles ( I would need one anyways for dubbles?)

I would just go for a non bungied wing like the Halcyon. Get the appropriate wing for singles. Two wings, one for singles and one for doubles is all you need.

5. If the bc does get puncured will the bunggies suqeez all of the air out?

Yes. This is one of the main problems people have with bungie wings.

6. Are OMS wings as puncture resistant as halcyon wings?

No. I have a couple of buddies who dive OMS wings and they don't even compare to my Halcyon. The Halcyon ones are super tough and very well made. Great product, I won't dive anything else.

7. Should I just stop wasting my time and get an halcyon wing?

I would. Get a Pioneer setup for singles, will cost you $505.00 for the BP/Harness/27lbs wing. When you start doing doubles, just add the 55lbs bladder for around $300.00. It will be easier if you do it right the first time. Get the right tool for the job and be done with it. You will not regret the Halcyon.

I have a 100 lb OMS wing with a single deflator hose. I use it for doubles and singles. Does the wing tend to wrap around a single tank, Yes! Solution, bungie the wing through the holes in the back plate to restrain it.
Do bungies represent an entanglement hazzard? Possibly, more so than not. It's a preference, I find air shifts too radically with out them. My serious penetration dives are fewer these days. I'm getting older and the gear keeps getting more expensive, I'm selective !
Is Halcion better than OMS? I would say yes, especially the deflator hose and valve! But for the money OMS has performed quite well. I use it on jobs as well and havn't babied it, I'm satisfied with the quality for the money. Would I like a Halcion, Duhh !
Is the wing easily punctured? They all are. Halcion is more protected and better quality. OMS would be my second place. I wouldn't consider others.
I do agree that a smaller wing would be better for singles. It hasn't been objectionable the way I have it now though. One thing different, my buddy takes plate lead, cuts it, weighs it, and trims it to fit the back plate and use those flat screws you find in the Ziegal BCs to secure the lead to the back plate when doing singles. This keeps lead off his waist.
It's your decision ultimately. If you have the money, go for it ! There are respectable alternatives though..........
Wreck/Tec

Back
Top Bottom