OMS and their Bungeed Wing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I took receipt of the OMS IQ pack and 45# bungied wing that I mentioned earlier in this thread on Saturday.

Though I haven't had a chance to get it wet yet, I did do a quick comparison on oral inflation between the bungee wing and my existing Zeagle Ranger.

I found no appreciable difference until the last "puff" to try and activate the overpressure valve. Otherwise, the same amount of effort was used to inflate both bladders.

So in that regard, I'm satusfied. As soon as I get a chance to dive it, I'll provide another report.

You can't be more "trim" than with Halcyon wings. My understanding is that bungees present a potential snag place in wrecks. (not to mention they must cause more turbulent surfaces):doctor:

Originally posted by Joe Riordon
My understanding is that bungees present a potential snag place in wrecks.
Actually, I will respectfully disagree very strongly with your "snagging" comment. (Also, by your stating "My understanding is...", I will give you credit that you haven't had the chance to either a) dive the OMS wing, or b) oberserve one during a dive).

My desire to learn technical diving is because of wanting to dive one and penetrate shipwrecks. And what convinced me to purchase this system was that 5 of the local tekkie gurus that I respect highly for their accomplishments are also heavy in to wreck diving and all dive with the bungeed wing systems (actually the larger double 100# wing). And when I asked them about snagging, all said that they were much more likely to have another part of their gear get snagged than the wing.

Even when the wing is only partially inflated, the "surgical tubing" band are held tightly against the surface of the wing. So it would take a "correctly" shaped item at the right angle with enough force to get under it and snag. IMO, if the dive is going well, you would be very aware of this object before it got into a position to snag the wing (aka you would see or feel it). I even tried to poke my finger under one of the bands when the wing was 25-35% inflated and had difficulty doing it.

So until I discover something different on my own, I will say that the snagging issue is not a valid one at this tme.
not to mention they must cause more turbulent surfaces
Are you speaking hydrodynamically here? And if yes, in what context? Increased drag? Or something else?

If you're thinking increased drag, again I will respectfully disagree. The "rumpled surface" of the wing should not create any significant amount of drag than say a non-bungeed wing that is likely to "flap" when partially inflated and subjected to current or fast swimming. And also no more drag than the "rumpled" surface of a dry suit.

This board is all about diver education through discussion of various topics. As such, I'd hope you and I would have the chance to one day dive together so you can show me what you were thinking, and I can demonstrate what I have just posted. This way we can help you change from "it's my understanding" to "I know for a fact".

With respect......

--TexasMike

My understanding is too from diving gurus. OMS were the tek rigs for sometime. The comment about bungies hanging up was from the dir folks. My certs are from padi,iantd, naui and within the last couple of years dir training has caught my attention. I have over 500 logged dives and have just started the dir configuration. It didn't take long to notice the streamlining and simplicity work. I was refering to the turbulent as opposed to laminar flow you get with smooth vs. ridged surfaces. Have you tried Halcyon? dir?

have there been any actual flow tests done in an aqueous environment? Or is it just more theory that has been propagated as fact again? When I see some claims without data to back them up, I just have to shake my head. Sure there is going to be additional turbulance with a bungeed system. The offsetting reduction of actual surface area that is in the stream might completely negate that. Without actual testing and data it's just more opinion being paraded as truth. Why is it that all of the "other" engineers in the world have to actually prove their assertions with real data. If it's not supported then where is the truth in advertizing?

The snag myth is just that.

The "you can't inflate it at depth myth" is just that too.

The runaway double bladder myth is yet another one.

Make sure the naysayers of any product have no monetary interest in the competing product before you take their proclomation of unsuitability at face value. They might have sold you out for 13 shekels of gold.

Originally posted by Joe R.
The comment about bungies hanging up was from the dir folks.
Ahhh....this explains much. For reasons that I've yet to uncover, the strict DIR crowd has been nay-saying the OMS system without actually trying it out for themselves to determine if what they are saying is true or not. And unfortunately, you fell into the same trap.

One of the first lessons that got pounded into my brain was not to repeat "something I heard or read" online unless I had experienced it for myself. Thats why earlier in this thread I was in a "wait and see for myself" mode until I could actually handle and dive the bungee wing.

And I acknowledge that you have almost 10 times the number of dives that I do. I also wish to invite you to dive with me sometime in my IQ system so that you can say that you have honestly tried it and can now speak from experience.

I too plan on adopting many of the DIR principles. However, like NetDoc and many others, I feel that the pure DIR that G.I. and others are so adamant about (in other words, if you don't do it completely like us, you're wrong!) really is best for the type of diving that they are doing within the caves of Florida. My take is to adopt the various DIR principles that work for my type of diving. Which goes to say that what I adopt may not be the stuff works for your type of diving.

The principles of DIR are good. It's just some of the DIR disciples and their mouths you gotta watch out for.

Really Mike....
I think it is too late to be knocking your choice....
And I won't because you've got a lot invested in it....
But if you come up to the Sunshine Coast dive with your rig....
We can do a swap for a shore dive and give em a try....

Wish it could happen....but alas, the timing went bad with my business and I can't make it.

I gots a timing light I kin send ya... Its got an advance dial n' everthin'!!! My business is light as well... lets hope the economy picks up again!

That's just it....we are on an upswing, and need to work hard to keep the momentum going.....

And with a small business that takes lots of effort! And this is the effor that funds the diving! :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom