OMS and their Bungeed Wing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Originally posted by Tom Vyles
Roak,

How did you shift the air and keep it there. I would think you would have to squeeze the left side of the bladder with something to get the air to move.

Bungied wing, just tighten a bungie.

Tom
In a cave I'm in a slightly head down position. Actually I almost always dive in a head-down position, but that's from my cave training. Anyway, because the bladder is an inverted U, all I do is come up slightly to move the air up to behind my head (the bottom of the U), roll to my left to move the air to the right side and then go into my normal head down position. The air is now trapped in the right side of the wing.

Non-bungied wing, nothing to mess with or adjust or guess what bungee tightness you need pre-dive and infinitely adjustable during the dive.

Roak

When I bought my 100# dual bladder wings the instructions specifically said "inflate the bladder fully and using MODERATE tension, tie the chords using a square knots" In other words, read the instructions.

They also state that the Total lift is 100 lbs but the working lift is 50. The second bladder is a backup ONLY.

Short hoses are available. The wing profile is the same as any other wing, ie wider at the bottom to promote a heads down trim. pull dumps are for EMERGENCY USE only, in case of uncontrolled ascent.

I'm sorry, if you are worried that much about streamlining, you need to be freediving. In tech diving slow is better. Double the speed means quadruple the gas consumption.

Lights. OMS has switched to lead acid gel-cells. so replacements are no longer a problem. And with their new HID light heads you can get 3 to 4 hours duration.

On every piece of OMS equipent is the disclaimer that it should be first used in a protected area until proficiency is achieved.

Finally, my one phone dealing with OMS was quick, pleasant and professional. A far cry from the snotty superiority I got from the EE store.

Sorry- I get a bit ticked off when folks slam or adopt something because "so and so on the 'net said so" without actually understanding or trying it out themselves. And folks, Halcyon is not exactly spotless either. It's business, not a religeon. I do it for fun.

Dive safe
Brock :mean:

Originally posted by Okiecaver
Sorry- I get a bit ticked off when folks slam or adopt something because "so and so on the 'net said so" without actually understanding or trying it out themselves. And folks, Halcyon is not exactly spotless either. It's business, not a religeon. I do it for fun.

Dive safe

Brock,

I do it for fun as well, and I am here to help other divers have fun too. I advocate those things that I have found to be exceptionally well made, well thought out, and proven (by me and others). I've been through the gammot of buying junk gear and having gimmick driven gear configurations. I've wasted a ton of money getting to where I'm at now. I know that I have single handedly helped perhaps hundreds of other divers avoid the mistakes I have made -- that's cool to me. :)

These boards (as pertaining to gear, anyway) are about the expression of opinions backed up by experience and knowledge. If people want to advocate unnecessarily expensive, complex, gimmick laden gear that often does nothing but promote poor diving habits, then so be it. That's what we're here for. If it wasn't for these other view points, no one would learn anything, right?

Take care. :tree:

Mike

Originally posted by Okiecaver

I'm sorry, if you are worried that much about streamlining, you need to be freediving. In tech diving slow is better. Double the speed means quadruple the gas consumption.

Double the drag means quadruple the gas consumption.

Sorry- I get a bit ticked off when folks slam or adopt something because "so and so on the 'net said so" without actually understanding or trying it out themselves.
Dive safe

That's ok... :)

Here is where I do agree with you both.

I've learned a bunch from these boards, but I've learned more from experience. LY, you have wayy more Great Lakes experience than I so I come to you and read your posts with interest.

Uncle Pug I do not know you so well, but I will be reading your posts as well.

Finally, I purchased the OMS wing as an experiment. I'm impressed with how OMS is trying to change their image and product line. The wing was used by a friend, so I was confident as to it's condition. Also- I had a very bad experience boat diving that left me wanting some redundancy in addition to my drysuit

For the Big However, look at my pic that I posted down on the cave diving section. Look at what wing I'm using. It aint the OMS.

Nuff said

Yooze guyz have a great Xmas
Da Brockster

I have the 65# UN-bungied (they offer both) OMS wings and I love them. They offer the least rock and roll I have ever experienced with any wing/doubles combination, and they have super-lift capacity.
Norm

I have been using the OMS dual bladder system and back plate for a year now and have had NO problems with it. Yes you can orally inflate with bungies. The WAR over to bungy or not to bungy has been going on for so long its now boring. Each has benifits that the other does not. Wreck diving I prefer the bugied as the wings are kept tucked in where the non bungied float or flap in the water. In open water or caves the nonbungied is great except if your taking pictures and need a stable platform. I know I'm in for it from the DIR fans on the board, but if you haven't tried it don't knock it.
I still only see the kick OMS in the ass as a marketing campain by a group who has a direct interest in others buying there product.(EE)

Don't get me wrong, I do believe in safe diving, and do promote Doing it Safe. I just get tired of hearing one group saying all other gear is crap and who ever owns it are strokes. Its their way or the highway.
I'm also saddened that some of you enjoy paying for their (JJ,GI,etc) dive trips. The gear is over priced.

Sorry for blowing off some steam, but no matter what section you go to, you just can't get away from it.

I don't have a direct interest in seeing anyone sell their gear. I don't belong to any group, organization, or own a dive shop, so in that regard, I'd say I have a fairly unbiased point of view. I promote gear that I feel is well made and makes sense. I won't hesitate to "bash" any piece of gear that I have seen, used, or have good reason to believe that, IMO, doesn't make sense or is unnecessary. I won't bash anyone personally, but if asked for an opinion, I'll gladly step up to the plate. :wink:

If buying EE and Halcyon gear pays for vacations for Irvine and JJ, then so be it. It's the least I could do considering they have given me so many years of free education (invaluable education) and individual attention when I wanted it. If it wasn't for these guys taking the time, I would still be blowing money on worthless dive gear and getting bent after every dive using air and Navy tables or computers. I personally owe both of these guys a great deal of gratitude for increasing my awareness to diving equipment, diving physiology, and decompression procedures that no one else on this planet is capable of giving -- much less willing to give for free on the net every day.

I say do as you will and express your opinions. This is how the learning takes place.

Mike

Somewhat off-topic (tanks vs. wings), but still indicative of the people running these companies.....

My LDS told me about a recent situation where someone who had purchased an OMS LP 98 tank was having some rust problems. The tank was not very old (2-3 years I think). The guy was diligent about rinsing his tank after diving, but was not in the habit of removing the boot after using it. The thing rusted completely through. Normally when a tank this new has problems like this, this particular LDS has seen the mfr. replace the tank. OMS would not even respond to their queries. In response to this incident, the LDS has stopped selling OMS gear. I admit this is second hand info, but still says something about OMS. When I first bought my own LP98 a few years ago, I sent them an e-mail asking some basic questions regarding care of the tank, etc. They never responded.

With Halcyon & Extreme Exposure, I've had exactly the opposite experience. Every time I've contacted them, they have been friendly, helpful and patient with my stupid questions. I also think their "try in the water and return within 30 days if not completely satisfied" policy is a further indication of their willingness to stand behind their products and to satisfy customers. Is their gear a little pricey? I guess so. But I will happily pay a little more $$$ for gear that I trust.

I'm not saying all OMS gear sucks and all Halcyon gear is made of gold. However, IMHO, I think that the way a company treats customers is indicative of the way the company is run as a whole.

OK, rant mode off ;-)

Originally posted by large_diver

However, IMHO, I think that the way a company treats customers is indicative of the way the company is run as a whole.
Right on with that!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom