OMS 32lb singles wing and OMS bp

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm looking at OMS w/32# wing for singles diving. My LDS said that "any" plate can be used without a STA but claimed that the tank isn't very stable. He was trying to suggest that DSS' STA-less design is inferior to OMS plus STA. So what's your experience without the STA? Is he just trying to sell extra equipment (the STA)? Is the diffence with or without STA really noticeable? Thanks.

scuba_sirhc:
Hi does anyone knows if the wing can fit the bp w/o using STA?

I have a newer OMS 32lbs wing. It has slots for CAM bands. Unfortunately the OMS slots don't line up with the slots cut in my HammerHead SS backplate. I could cut the slots larger, but I use a STA. Unless the BP is designed to hold a tank securely without a STA like the DSS systems, I think a STA is going to provide more stability. In my case I also wanted the extra weight as I dive this setup dry usually.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom