OM Systems OM-1 camera & Nauticam housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bad news. The so-called new version of the Nauticam zoom gear for the 12-50 mm lens does not work with the OM-1.

I got the new zoom gear yesterday in the mail and was able to play with it this morning. I encountered the same problem I had when trying to use the old system I have on that lens, the camera's eyebrow bumps up against the gear so you cannot mount the assembly onto the front of the OM-1 camera. After rereading all of the fine print, I saw you need to put the lens into the macro mode before attaching to the camera. Wonderful, the lens eyebrow now bumps up against another part of the assembly - close but no cigar.

I've returned the zoom gear and Reef Photo is talking to Nauticam about the problem. Stay tuned.

zoomgearproblem.JPG

I've returned the zoom gear and Reef Photo is talking to Nauticam about the problem. Stay tuned.

I was surprised myself when you told me that Reef Photo sent the version of gear you said they sold you. When I talked to Nauticam in HK themselves few weeks ago, they told specifically that they are coming out with a new version of the gear just for this OM1 housing. They also seemed to imply that there will be some sort of a trade in for the old gear with the new one.

Waiting for updates from your end :)

Your signature indicates that you have both the 60mm macro and the 30mm macro, in your experience, is it worth have these two lenses both for u/w photography? Did you feel like one would be better in certain situations and the other was better for other type of situations?
Just checking on some old pics and came across a dive with 30mm lens. Here is one which I think you will agree is pretty sharp for a lens at this price point. It was taken on an EM5 Mk1. Have several more of this quality but don't want to bore you. PM me if you want more.
BTW had a look through Nudi of Bali and could not see this one. Any ID welcome.
P4263269.jpg

Just checking on some old pics and came across a dive with 30mm lens. Here is one which I think you will agree is pretty sharp for a lens at this price point. It was taken on an EM5 Mk1. Have several more of this quality but don't want to bore you. PM me if you want more.
BTW had a look through Nudi of Bali and could not see this one. Any ID welcome.
View attachment 727922

Thanks, I looked at "experts" reviews of the lens and none indicated any issues with the 30mm quality either.

Do you use the 60mm too?

Yes due to the magnification and detail (if you get it right). It is a superb lens and I think it might help focus on something like the OM1. That's just a dream for me and I most probably only have 2 more years diving in me - if I'm lucky. Just had a major op and will see how it goes in Tulamben.
I guess the split is 70% 60mm and 30% 30mm.

es due to the magnification and detail (if you get it right). It is a superb lens and I think it might help focus on something like the OM1.

I have the OME5 I as you do and I can't wait to upgrade to the OM1 when I can afford it with the housing :)

That's just a dream for me and I most probably only have 2 more years diving in me - if I'm lucky.
I pray to Allah to give you the health to be able to dive for many decades to come.

I pray to the gods of modern medicine to keep me going for another 2 years! Decades would truly be a medical miracle.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom