OM Systems OM-1 camera & Nauticam housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi, just wondering if the old 50mm macro could be useful with the 4/3rds to M4/3rds converter. I used to get pretty sharp images with that lens and it didn't hunt as the 60 does, but that was a fair while ago. Have no idea re ports etc.

Your signature indicates that you have both the 60mm macro and the 30mm macro, in your experience, is it worth have these two lenses both for u/w photography? Did you feel like one would be better in certain situations and the other was better for other type of situations?

Hi Bolty, I bought the 30 because the 60 isn't easy or what I needed for some macro areas. With the 30 you can shoot 1:2 and also fish shots and you get exactly what you want most times. I find the 60 is great for 1:1 macro BUT you have to be careful and I find single small focus spot is the only way I can get what I want without too much hunting. I do mostly macro and I always take both, the 30 is not quite as sharp as the 60 but for the money, it's an excellent and useful lens UW. Never used it above water.
Never used the pana 45 so can't comment.

Hi Bolty, I bought the 30 because the 60 isn't easy or what I needed for some macro areas. With the 30 you can shoot 1:2 and also fish shots and you get exactly what you want most times. I find the 60 is great for 1:1 macro BUT you have to be careful and I find single small focus spot is the only way I can get what I want without too much hunting. I do mostly macro and I always take both, the 30 is not quite as sharp as the 60 but for the money, it's an excellent and useful lens UW. Never used it above water.
Never used the pana 45 so can't comment.

Thank you!

My new camera and housing have arrived! No, I haven't gotten in the water with them, yet.

View attachment 723860View attachment 723861View attachment 723862

If anyone is interested, I have 2 Olympus EM-5 camera bodies with a Nauticam housing for sale. PM me.
HI Jim, I am very jealous and can't wait to see the photo's. The thread discussing whether it is a worthwhile upgrade sent me off doing a bit of research and most of the pros give it a strong thumbs up.
I want one for my bird photography - Badly BUT!!!!

Thank you!
Bolty, I would add to your tags at the bottom:
NEVER loan your camera.
A mate of mine loaned his to a couple and they decided that they didn't want the flash so they took off the electronic connector and flooded his housing.

Bolty, I would add to your tags at the bottom:
NEVER loan your camera.
A mate of mine loaned his to a couple and they decided that they didn't want the flash so they took off the electronic connector and flooded his housing.

I never do, that's like loaning your underwear to strangers :)

I also have the OM-1 and Nauticam combination (woohoo!) and will be retiring a beloved E-M1ii housing and bodies. I was glad Nauticam was prompt with the housing release, as we're heading to Bonaire in mid-June. I was on the cusp of changing systems, but am really glad I waited--The OM-1 shows great potential.

I've had trouble over the years with the Olympus mini-flashes (the one which comes with the OM-1 is the same FL-LM3 which came with the M1ii), and so I trigger strobes with an iTurtle, which works great (and unlike the Nauticam trigger, supports TTL). I'm pleased with the camera so far, and think the focus improvements will be really helpful (I do note that the 60 focuses _much_ more reliably on the M1ii than the smaller bodies). I have two batteries (although haven't gotten the "free" one yet), but the battery life seems materially improved, so I'm thinking I may reliably get three dives out of a charge. As to the 30, I have the Olympus version but use it only for blackwater/bonfire dives, as the working distance is small. I mostly use the 12-40, the 60, and the Panasonic 8mm fisheye.

I agree, Oly miniflash units have been failure points. That's why I have always carried a couple of spares on vacation but I'm having problems finding new FL-LM3s. I've ordered a flash trigger from Reef Photo that supports TTL; how is it I've never heard of iTurtle? I was also able to find an updated gear system for the 12-50; with the older adapter you cannot mount the lens on the OM-1. I think the difference between the old and new is simply a few teeth on the gear ring. If that's the case, it shouldn't be too hard to modify an older version.

I'm looking forward to hearing about your experience with the new rig next month. We don't go back to Cozumel until August, but I will be diving here in SoCal soon.

I was also able to find an updated gear system for the 12-50; with the older adapter you cannot mount the lens on the OM-1. I think the difference between the old and new is simply a few teeth on the gear ring. If that's the case, it shouldn't be too hard to modify an older version.

Can you use the updated gear in a different housing, the old EM5 housing for example, to be able to use the 12-50mm lens in two different model OLY cameras housings?

I think the new gear system will work with older cameras/housings. The only difference I can tell is they have cut a few teeth of the gear so it will fit under the OM-1's eyebrow. I'll let everyone know once I get the new hardware.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom