olympus dilemma?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jonahfab

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have been using a 5050, pt015, and inon strobe for the past two years and am finally starting to get pretty comfortable with it. I am now looking at buying the macro lenses, wal, and such for it. This is where the dilemma comes in, the little voice in the back of my head keeps telling me they don't make this camera anymore, and from recent searches on ebay I see the stock is definitely dwindling. I fear that my camera is going to get trashed somehow, and now I'll have all this gear that can only be used for the 5050. I guess my question is would any of the lens be transferable to a different style camera and housing. I have also contemplated just buying a newer model olympus, but it looks as though they all now just use the xd card which the multible card holder was a really nice feature. Are there any olympus cameras out there that still support duel memory, or is it time to look at different brand camera? I know there is no perfect solution, but any help, advise, suggestions would be very much appreciated.

I know some lens can be used on the 7070, but the discontinued that one too. Best you ask where you plan to buy, they will know what else it fits on.

If I were you I would buy a second 5050 camera so you can continue using your setup without the fear of the camera dying and go forward with getting your lenses. Re-furbished cameras are fine. All my cameras are re-furbs.

I have two C4000Z's and two PT-010 housings so I can last for quite some time. I also have a wide angle lens and a close-up lens.

Even if I had to replace my camera/housing I would not want to give up the use of my add-on lenses. I thoroughly enjoy the ability to change lenses underwater to fit the situation.

The problem with newer cameras are that their respective housings no longer have 67mm lens ports. This would negate using your 67mm add-on lenses. However, you can buy one of the Ikelite housings for some of the newer point-and-shoot cameras for under $300. Ike has an additional adapter for those housings that allows for the use of the 67mm lenses. Of course you would end up with a larger housing than the camera brand ones but you would still be able to continue to use your lenses.

This is the path I would take if I had to replace my camera/housing.

I won't give up my 5050s - love em. My strobe, arms, trays and add-on lenses will move to different systems if I ever do want to move away from them. Keep Gilligan's advice in mind - head for Ikelite as you will be able to use your addon lenses etc with those housings.

I have to agree, I love my 5050 and I'd hate to give it up. I was looking at the ikelite housings, and can I still use my inon strobe because it looks like I can't use my slave strobe sensor?

Yes, you can...you might have to get a little creative, but lots of people use ikes and inons.

If a search doesn't find your answer, try www.digitaldiver.net and search/ask there.

Back
Top Bottom