TG-6 Dead

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rick Brant

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Camera is about 2 years old, only used for diving and only used with the Olympus housing. It looks brand new but will no longer charge. Very disappointing life span. Maybe it is the battery but if that is how long they last I'm not sure I want to buy another one. Too bad as I like this camera. I will probably just stick to using my iPhone in a housing now.

That's true. I'm trying to get away from buying more crap but maybe need to for this. It's crazy that the battery has such a short life. It has not been charged more than 20 times total.

Lithium batteries have a limited shelf life, and can also be damaged by improper charging. Yours may have just experienced a random malfunction. It's a cheap consumable; replace it and move on.

Do you wait until it is fully discharged before recharging? Mine is about 3 years old, used all year round, and can still do 2 (1 hour) dives on one recharge.

I have spare batteries, but rarely use them.

The biggest downside of the camera is the life of the O-ring, which I had to change after 2 years.

Olympus has very good customer service, if after charging the battery it still does not work, send it back to them and they may be able to repair it or give you a new one. My TGs have done hundreds of dives and are still going strong. No way should it die after so few dives.

batteries are wear items and cheap...just replace them and enjoy your camera. Not to sound like an ass but when I read this thread I was like WTF....just replace and enjoy

The battery is removable; looking on Amazon, you can get a 3-pack with a charger for $20.99 - why throw away an $800 camera + housing over a $7 battery?
The cheap batteries tend to not hold much of a charge nor take very many charges. It is worth it to buy the Olympus batteries; they are worth it.

The cheap batteries tend to not hold much of a charge nor take very many charges. It is worth it to buy the Olympus batteries; they are worth it.
I used to think so, then I accidentally broke the charger for my Sony NP-FW50 batteries. Ordered a replacement from Aliexpress, and it came with two batteries bundled, for $16.55 total. I was certain they'd be junk, but in actual usage, they ended up holding a charge as well or better than my original Sony batteries that I paid $50+ apiece for.

I used to think so, then I accidentally broke the charger for my Sony NP-FW50 batteries. Ordered a replacement from Aliexpress, and it came with two batteries bundled, for $16.55 total. I was certain they'd be junk, but in actual usage, they ended up holding a charge as well or better than my original Sony batteries that I paid $50+ apiece for.

My experience is that the OLY batteries hold charge much better than others. I ordered OLY batteries and other brand not too long ago and most definitely the OLY give me more shots. I use the OLY for U/W photography and the other brand for land photography now.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom