TG-6 Dead

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Try cleaning the contacts on both the camera and battery with rubbing alcohol

I'm pretty familiar with camera batteries, but thanks for the info. I have three DSLR bodies and a couple of video cameras. I have a ton of Amazon 3rd-party batteries already. That's why I am on the fence, I'm tired of the junk creep. And I have done an Olympus swap before as well, way back in the film days. So I know the options available. I posted as I was hoping someone would say they fixed the issue in some other way.

I'm pretty familiar with camera batteries, but thanks for the info. I have three DSLR bodies and a couple of video cameras. I have a ton of Amazon 3rd-party batteries already. That's why I am on the fence, I'm tired of the junk creep. And I have done an Olympus swap before as well, way back in the film days. So I know the options available. I posted as I was hoping someone would say they fixed the issue in some other way.
I tend to dive with a lot of fish-survey geeks, who very much like their TG4s and 5s and 6s. To a person, they have stopping using non-Olympus batteries because they can't get two dive out of them. except maybe when they are brand new. At the cost of doing a dive, trying to save on a reusable camera battery is silly.

The "issue" you want to "fix" is what again? You've got a rare bad battery, likely, rather than a faulty charging circuit in the camera. Another batter allows you to test that,.

If you decide to sell your TG-6, go for full disclosure. It will sell quickly. They are rare on the used market. I'd buy it right now at the right price!

Do you leave the battery in the camera when not in use?
The tg-6 camera continuously draws current from the battery till it goes flat.
Apparently, thats not good for batteries and what may have prematurely killed yours.

Agree with others, spending $20 to use a tg-6 is better than using an iPhone.

In camera charging is rarely conducive to battery life length. As others have already mentioned, and you've already surmised, buy a replacement battery and external charger and you should be good to go. I have a TG-4, but also XZ-1, E-500, and E-5. I have used Oly batteries and non-Oly batteries, but always with an external charger (usually Oly, but sometimes non-Oly). After a year or two I find that all of the batteries start to lose some life but it can be hit or miss on which ones last the longest. I do know that if I'm doing a dive where I want to maximise my opportunity for success I go with fresh, newer, brand-name batteries. If it's a 'regular' dive then I'll use whichever battery was in the charger the night before. I review my pictures underwater as well as during the SI on a 2-tank dive and have yet to have a battery die during the 2nd dive. That said, I'm hardly doing any video and my picture taking is becoming more and more 'picky'!!

That said, I'm hardly doing any video and my picture taking is becoming more and more 'picky'!!
Same here. I used to have 100+ images per dive now luck to do 10. Occasionally, I don't take the camera so I can concentrate on the dive and not be constantly looking for the next shot.

Just a quick update, I purchased a 3-pack of batteries and a charger for all of $20. The camera seems to be working fine although I have not tried charging in the camera body yet.

Re taking fewer photos and the iPhone, I too stopped taking my TG-6 rig and for a while went without a camera. Then I started working on a project that required a phone, so I purchased the DiveVolk housing. Now I carry my iPhone on every dive. The photo quality is good -- not TG-6 good as there is no flash. Video quality is better than the TG-6 for the most part. It's easy to clip on to a D-ring and I use several of the other phone features in the water -- maps/GPS, texts for coordinating with others on-shore, and the photos library for references when looking for specific underwater features. I'll still use my TG-6 for pure photography diving but the phone is a great regular carry.

Have you tried charging your old batteries in the new, external charger?

Now I carry my iPhone on every dive. The photo quality is good -- not TG-6 good as there is no flash. Video quality is better than the TG-6 for the most part. It's easy to clip on to a D-ring and I use several of the other phone features in the water -- maps/GPS, texts for coordinating with others on-shore, and the photos library for references when looking for specific underwater features. I'll still use my TG-6 for pure photography diving but the phone is a great regular carry.
How deep can you go and still be able to text or have the GPS work? If you have full bars of service at the surface do you drop a bar every 10' or so? Just curious!!

You can also use a dive light for additional lighting as opposed to a flash when taking pics with the iPh. I've seen a small rig that will hold the phone sideways and put a small light holder on it!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom