TG-6 Dead

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Coverage of all kinds stops at just a couple of feet generally. Especially GPS, I need to be on the surface for any readings. I do a lot of coral surveys though and we generally surface between transects, so that works OK for me. All that said, many times I have had a text message pop up at 10-20'. It may be something that was cached and just released at a random time or maybe every now and then some radio gets picked up -- hard to say.

The GPS in the TG works fine too, just not at depth. That is caused by the high-frequency (1200-1600 MHz) of the GPs signals, not by the receiving device. GPS penetrates just a few cm into water.

• Bullseye!
Reactions: L13
Yes, but the TG-6 GPS can't readily be used for navigating. With the phone I can use Gaia or any other mapping app and then navigate to mooring balls or underwater features like a reef transect. It's not so much the GPS itself as the navigation ability. I rarely use the TG-6 GPS.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom