OLY-5060 in movie mode

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree with everyone above. A digicam is not a video cam. All I am saying is that you shouldn't really judge the quailty of a video snippet on a high resolution moniter. Because of limited memory space digicams compress video a lot so yes it is definalty going to be poorer quality. I do not own a 5060 or 5050 so I did not know the FPS they shoot at. The video should not be jerky even at 15fps btw - you will just get blur created when there is fast motion.

My point is I think that digicams in general do a fairly good job of video considering they are not made specifically made for video. A good bonus really.

Consider this:
A single frame of true digital video should have 720 x 576 (PAL) and 720 x 487 (NTSC) pixels of information. The C5050 and C5060 records 320 x 240 and 640 x 480 pixels per frame respectively.

These frames are recorded at 25 frames/s (PAL) and 30 frames/s (NTSC) in a video camera. The C5050 and C5060 records at 15 frames/s.

Apart from the above differences the frames are recorded differently in a video camera - each frame is actually recorded as 2 'fields' - each field contains alternate lines of information ie field 1 willl contain lines 1,3, 5, etc and field 2 2, 4, 6 etc. These are then 'interlaced' together to create a single frame. Because these fields are recorded one after the other the motion is much smoother - in effect you are recording 50 fields/s (PAL) or 60 fields/s (NTSC). So if a ball flies across the screen in 1 sec there will be 50 or 60 'snaps' of it recorded as opposed to just 15 on the C5050 and C5060.

So it's easy to see why the quality of video recorded on a C5050/C5060 will not be comparable to that recorded on a true digital video camera. Hope the above explanation makes sense.

I have two movie snippits on our website, created with the C4000Z....I don't think it looks too bad for a digicam...see for yourself www.savannahscuba.net/photomain.html The clips are "Grays Reef" (topside) and "The Pitt" May 2004.

I agree, the movie feature is an added bonus...it's perfect for what I would use it for.

A.

bpacilio:
Greetings All,

I am in the process of selling my MMII 35mm camera as well as my Nikon Coolpix 4500 in order to buy a single camera and housing (the IkeLight for the nikon is too much $$$). I've been reading all the posts from users here and decided on the OLY-5060 with the OLY housing. My question here is simple. Does this housing provide the ability to change modes so that I can take some video snippits? Any feedback from 5060 users would be appreciated.

Regards.

I'm still shooting a c-3000 in movie mode and it works great! The video is good, but having the sound is cool also... I can hear my reg and bubbles... :) The funniest thing is watching the new guys do the doggie paddle. Over and Over again. Very Funny.

Thanks to all for the comments. I really just wanted to know if the movie mode was accessible from the OLY housing... lol. But all the other info is good to know.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom