OLY-5060 in movie mode

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bpacilio

Reaction score
Greetings All,

I am in the process of selling my MMII 35mm camera as well as my Nikon Coolpix 4500 in order to buy a single camera and housing (the IkeLight for the nikon is too much $$$). I've been reading all the posts from users here and decided on the OLY-5060 with the OLY housing. My question here is simple. Does this housing provide the ability to change modes so that I can take some video snippits? Any feedback from 5060 users would be appreciated.

Regards.

The PT-020 provides access to all camera functions, so you can take video. You can only get 640x480 resolution though, so you probably have to get pretty close to your subject.
bpacilio:
Greetings All,

I am in the process of selling my MMII 35mm camera as well as my Nikon Coolpix 4500 in order to buy a single camera and housing (the IkeLight for the nikon is too much $$$). I've been reading all the posts from users here and decided on the OLY-5060 with the OLY housing. My question here is simple. Does this housing provide the ability to change modes so that I can take some video snippits? Any feedback from 5060 users would be appreciated.

Regards.

KrustyTheClownFish:
The PT-020 provides access to all camera functions, so you can take video. You can only get 640x480 resolution though, so you probably have to get pretty close to your subject.

640X480 is far superior to what you see on your TV so it should actually be pretty good.

The 5050 also has that option and on the little screen of the camera it looks great, but as soon as you get it a bit bigger on the computer the resolution of the films are not THAT great.

The 5060 PT-20 housing allows you to change all settings on the camera, just as you would without the housing.
Like the rest of the Olympus cameras it's failrly easy to use and the video is not too bad though it tends to have a constant soundtrack of bubbles :)

justleesa:
The 5050 also has that option and on the little screen of the camera it looks great, but as soon as you get it a bit bigger on the computer the resolution of the films are not THAT great.

Oly 5050 is 320x240
Oly 5060 is 640x480
In video mode.

justleesa:

you must remember that dvd is only something like 720 lines hence 640 is pretty good. TV is 320 lines I think. So try playing a video through the computer and you will see that it too looks pretty bad from close up.

So even 320x240 should give you something worthwhile to watch on your 'normal' 320 line TV.

lukeROB:
you must remember that dvd is only something like 720 lines hence 640 is pretty good. TV is 320 lines I think. So try playing a video through the computer and you will see that it too looks pretty bad from close up.

So even 320x240 should give you something worthwhile to watch on your 'normal' 320 line TV.

I will say. All cameras aren't created equal. And just because it say's 640x480 doesn't mean it's great quality.

And, watching the TV with my Digital Camcorder. There is definately a HUGE difference in quality over the Oly 5060. They aren't even comparable.

BUT, for digital snips. I like the 5060. It's kinda a neat toy. And I can get pics and video from it. It has pretty good quality. BUT, a digital camcorder it ain't.

You're all forgetting one very important thing. It's not just the resolution, it's also the frames per second. Normal video is 30 fps. Both the 5050 & 5060 are 15 fps. Therefore the picture will appear jerky on playback.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom