Older Sherwood DIN/Yoke Conversion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hey folks!

I'm looking to get a midsized HP tank for my girlfriend to use on deeper dives (I have a pair of 120s which I use for deeper/longer dives, but they're way too big for her) and know someone who is looking to sell a 100 for a pretty reasonable price. Only problem is, the tank in question has a DIN valve and my girlfriend's first stage is a yoke.

I've never had to deal with converting regs/tanks before--I've always dived on my own gear, always in my own area so never renting gear etc.--but my understanding is that the screw-in inserts aren't a great idea on >3000 PSI tanks, and that first stage conversions are proprietary from one manufacturer to another (and can get pretty expensive).

My girlfriend's first stage is an older (late 90s, I believe) Sherwood Blizzard; does anyone know what kit to use to convert it to DIN and have any advice on whether it'd even be worth it?

Thanks!

Check the tank valve. There are 2 'basic' forms, PURE DIN with older narrow neck and tank pressure of 3500psi. For this you NEED a DIN. You cannot put a convertible insert in these.

Newer convertible tank valves, larger neck, 3442psi. This may or may not have the convertible valve. If it does, then it can do either. If it is 3442 and has a non-convertible valve an easier option my be to get a new valve.Then you can use it both ways.

The Sherwood DIN conversion is pretty standard, and pretty easy. Get one of these: Sherwood 300 bar DIN Conversion Kit for Older Models
Then you need to get the yoke off (special tools may be involved; 1" Yoke Nut Socket). Screwing the DIN in requires a suitable sized wrench.

The above post is spot on. Converting a Sherwood reg to DIN is easy to do and definitely use a 1" yoke socket.

Screw in inserts are no big deal do not let that be an issue with the convertible valve and HP.

I believe the tank in question has a non-convertible valve, so just replacing it with a new valve might be the easiest thing to do--that way she wouldn't need to deal with converting the reg back to yoke on days when we want to do a second dive. That said, the cost of a valve + getting the tank hydro'd (it's about 18 months overdue) pretty nearly neutralizes the savings of buying it used. So maybe not worth it this time around.

Thank you both!

If the cylinder is not in hydro the price should be pretty cheap, like $150 at most. But yeah if you need to buy a valve too it adds up quick. That said, you might be able to find a use K valve for not too much.

Why not get an extra first stage, then you ćan use whatever first stage that fits the tank.

(I am of the oppinion you can never have to many regulators. :) )

Back
Top Bottom