Older Scubapro Hyperthane Fins?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hippiedive

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I was wondering what people's opinion is of the older Scubapro transparent Hyperthane fins? Compared to other fins on the market these days like the Nova or Mares Avanti how to they stack up? The prices have gotten pretty reasonable for used ones so I was just curious. I tried a pair about 15 years ago and thought they had more thrust than my old Wenoka Reeflex fins and with less effort, but that's not saying much. Any opinions on them would be appreciated. I tried to search the forum but couldn't find much info, so I guess that may not be a good sign. I"m somewhat new here so maybe I didn't search correctly.

I've got a pair of the Sea Wings fins as well as Jet Fins, and the Jet Fins in my opinion are much more comfortable to use and provide more thrust. I found the Hyperthane blade to be too stiff and although vented didn't achieve the result that the Jets do. They look nice, but that's it.

Ok. Thanks for that info. I've used Jet fins in the past and loved them. The L size didn't fit my boots well so I'm probably just going to get another pair of them in XL and not bother with the Sea Wings then as I prefer a more powerful fin.

I dived for years with hyperthane seawings (the ones without straps), until they were dead from use. I was very satisfied with them, found them much more confortable than jetfins. I wonder though if you'll be able to find a pair in good working conditions nowadays.

They're out there on auction sites but as you said they may be shot and it's hard to know the real condition without seeing them. I like to experiment with different fins just for fun and for general use as I'm not a tech diver. When I did my DM years ago I cut about 15 seconds of my test swim by switching from my Reeflex channel type fins to my instructor's Beauchat Contact vented fins and had less fatigue. The Beauchat Contacts are out of production (just like the old sea wings) but there are still some used ones around. They're actually a nice fin which is cheap and underrated. Not that I need to swim that fast when diving usually but it's interesting to try different things. I didn't have any of the Scubapro fins to try at that time, and I know there's many other great fins out there.

I see your point. I've been wanting to try a pair of Force Fins for years now, for the same reason. But on this side of the pond, prices for such fins are utterly crazy, even for second hand ones in a rather shady state... But one never knows, one day I might find one pair...

One of my dive buddies used force fins and I noticed that for every one kick I made with normal channel type fins it took him about 3 kicks to go the same distance. He claimed to love them, but to me he didn't seem very relaxed in the water. I'm sure his kicks were with relatively little effort but I wouldn't want to be kicking that much.

Well, there's nothing better than personnal experience I'd say. So, I'd tell you once I had tried them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom