Older Oceanic Delta reg vs HOG Classic

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pepperbelly

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I feel foolish. I was told and have been thinking that I have an Oceanic Delta 4 second stage.
After doing some research it appears that my reg is an old model Delta. It has a blue ring around a triangular purge button.
I had been debating whether or not I should upgrade my what I thought was a Delta 4. Now upgrading seems like a no brainer.

How much better performance will I see going from this older Delta to a Hog Classic?

Im not sure how one can reply to your question? I dive with Balanced Hogs and like them, but I would be just as happy with Hollis if either were serviced and up to date.

Both the Hog and Hollis can be hand for chump change....

if both are serviced and tuned properly, you shouldn't be able to tell much of a difference. Hog Classics are great second stages, but why do you feel the need to "upgrade"?

I was wanting a reg with a metal tube to help avoid dry mouth.
I had noticed my reg was a little hard breathing and started reading about the differences.

I bought my current reg set, used, last summer, and honestly thought it was better than it is. I was told it was a Delta 4 and an FDX10. I am sure the second stage isn't a Delta 4 and am having doubts now about the first stage being an FDX10. The LDS I bought it from does the dive shop part time, and was in a rush to rebuild my regs as he had a lot of others to do also. I am not sure it is tuned properly. I could have it gone through again, but I am losing faith in it.
The Hog Classic seems to be good for what I am going to do with it.

metal tube isn't going to help with dry mouth. You're still breathing cold as hell, dry as hell, gas mixtures and the metal barrel won't change that. The Hog regs are great, don't get me wrong, but you have to want to upgrade for a good enough reason to warrant the cost. Dry mouth isn't one of those. If it isn't tuned properly, the LDS needs to fix it, I don't care if they had a lot of others to do, but rushing is inexcusable. The Deltas should be able to be tuned to a level that is comparable to the Hog if done properly, and the first stage isn't going to change that.

From some quick and dirty internet searching it looks like the first stage is an Oceanic SP-5.

I have read several sources that the metal tube allows moisture to condense on it. I don't expect it to eliminate dry mouth, but I need to alleviate it a little. The rear of my soft pallette near my throat will get dry enough to gag me.

and how do you expect that to move around enough and atomize into humidity to alleviate it? I dive with metal barrel regs, always have, and am very sensitive to it. I don't notice when I borrow a plastic barrel second stage, even when on them for multiple hours. If you can justify it, go for it, and the upgrade from the SP-5 won't be noticeable from a usability standpoint, but it is a much nicer reg, but I doubt you'll be able to tell much of a difference.

and how do you expect that to move around enough and atomize into humidity to alleviate it? I dive with metal barrel regs, always have, and am very sensitive to it. I don't notice when I borrow a plastic barrel second stage, even when on them for multiple hours. If you can justify it, go for it, and the upgrade from the SP-5 won't be noticeable from a usability standpoint, but it is a much nicer reg, but I doubt you'll be able to tell much of a difference.

I am only going on what I have been told, and you may be right- I may not be able to notice any difference.

Part of this is me losing confidence in what I have. It isn't what I was told it was. I bought this reg set used when I got back into diving and didn't know much about the newer gear. I am learning.

The metal tube will make no appreciable difference at all. Much too small a surface area for the volume of air that goes by it. You would get better results from an all metal 2nd (old or new), maybe a Sherwood Oasis with condensation vanes specifically for this, or the Apollo aftermarket hydration unit.
Depending on what you get and the condition you may or may not get a performance improvement, but I would not make that part of the decision.

Note, if your LDS is doing an unsatisfactory job with your current reg they would not necessarily do a better job with a different reg.

Back
Top Bottom