Older Eyes --Bigger Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A good basic computer that is easy to use with a tiger in it's tank as you progress. Easy to read in low vis and at nightand in bright sunlight. A true joy to interact with and I am always glad I let my wife talk me out of the cheaper computer. I love my Perdix and she loves hers and we bought them when we had 9 dives in our log book. Best money I've spent on diving to date. If you want to spend less, you obviously can. If you want to love your computer from the beginning, you can do what we did. Dig deep into your wallet and cry once. I would only do this if you are sure that you are committed to scuba diving. If you aren't sure buy on sale next black friday or used from somebody that is upgrading.

My Aladin doesn't even has back-light and never bother me a bit in night dive or whatnot!!!!! As far as I am concerned there are ONLY two kinds of dive computer: rec and technical. There is no such thing as advanced rec dive computer, it is the term conjured by the manufacturers.
BTW, I don't use dive computer for my baby tec dive(max 30min bottom time on air or trimix)! Two bottom timers + dive plan will do me.

I hope the "NEW" Deep 6 computer will be available before this Christmas.

Do you know which one of those types of people the OP will be?
It doesn't matter because:
(1) The OP is a complete stranger. (2) We are here to give our OWN opinion.

I use readers every day, My Mask has readers, but I am looking to buy my first basic computer (rec diving only). Have been looking at the Suunto and Mares Puck Pro. IDK witch one has the bigger display? Any other that you guys recommend?

What they all didn't quite spell out is that if you're planning to dive in dark water: black, green muck, then you'll really like a light-emitting screen. In blue water in bright sunlight you shouldn't have any problems seeing puck/zoop screens. Esp. if you have readers in the mask. So light-emitting screen becomes less of a plus and more of a $$$.

I'm never one to suggest what people should or shouldn't' buy. Whatever meets your personal needs, preferences and budget.

However, in the last 2 months I've been diving quite a bit of commercial boats. Shearwater have only recently appointed a dealer here, previously only the serious Technical divers personally imported their products. Now they're easy to get.

In the last 2 months I've seen 10 divers (who weren't' instructors or tec trained) wearing a perdix. Without exception each one should have invested the money in an entry level computer and spent the savings on further basic diving instruction (PPB) for instance.

This is not a slur on Shearwater, just an observation that buying top dollar kit doesn't make people a proficient diver. Spend your hard earned money wisely...

I doubt that any of those people had to sacrifice diving or instruction because they spent their money on a Perdix. To many, the cost of a Perdix is not a large burden but finding the time to dive and train is. If someone makes a choice to give up dives or instruction to buy a Perdix because they think it will make them a better diver, then I would agree with you that they are fooling themselves but I really don't see that as a thing.

People that can afford to drive something nicer than a Kia should not be insulted or criticized for choosing something a little nicer. The extra 30, 60 or 80k that they spend on their bmw, lexus or mercedes doesn't typically get them accused of having more money than sense or asked why they didn't spend the money at the track with an instructor. If they buy a Porsche and go racing without knowing what they are doing then yeah that's silly. A Perdix is a grand for God's sake. It's not a threat to their retirement or their kids' education. What it is, is a damn fine computer that you won't outgrow and can read in any conditions and can upload to your phone without a cable and it has the best user interface in the business. Or perhaps y'all are just trying to be funny and I didn't get the joke. I did.

Add my 2 psi to Oceanic Pro Plus 3. I can read it fine. I love it.

Back
Top Bottom