Old Xenon Halycon Scout: Good value or garbage?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The SL4 module works fine in Scouts -- we have two of them set up that way. You have to reverse the batteries and put a little tape on the contact strip, but it works fine. Put the Xenon modules in the SL4 bodies and you have a couple of useful household flashlights, too.

Thanks Reg.

I was thinking that Marchand's upgrade idea here:
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/lights/241849-uk-sl6-sl4-led-comparison.html
just might work in the Scout.

Henrik

No reason why not. Look at what Packhorse did to his IST though, he used a brighter drop in. Can't say for sure how it's gonna work, mine hasn't arrived yet, but I'm going to try to drop one in a PT.

Jeff G the focus on the drop in is adjustable slightly. It should be able to focus to a pretty tight spot.

Jake

in the picture the drop-in spot is certainly larger than the SL6 spot, so you may very well be correct about the focus. But as Jake points out, the position of the LED within the reflector of the drop-in is adjustable ... slightly. There's a link to a video on the Deal-X website that shows the whole electronics "pill" being screwed into the reflector part.

I've pretty much abandoned incandescent bulbs in my flashlights, home and otherwise. The difference in burn time and (sometimes) brightness is just too big to ignore. Granted for the purpose of diving and signaling, the difficulty in making a good, focused reflector for LED bulbs is a consideration.

Thanks for the replies.

Henrik

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom