Old Xenon Halycon Scout: Good value or garbage?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reg Braithwaite

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
An online retailer has "lots" of these units, $50 each. Again, they're the old Xenon models, not the 1W or 3W LED units. Are these any good, or should I save up for a LED unit?

I'm a "recreational" diver, mostly visiting wrecks w/o penetration. So I guess the main purpose of a light for me is for signaling or peering into a hole.

An online retailer has "lots" of these units, $50 each. Again, they're the old Xenon models, not the 1W or 3W LED units. Are these any good, or should I save up for a LED unit?

I'm a "recreational" diver, mostly visiting wrecks w/o penetration. So I guess the main purpose of a light for me is for signaling or peering into a hole.

You can stick the UK SL4 3W Led into old scouts.

The batteries have to be reversed and the LED light needs a piece of tape, but its doable.

You can stick the UK SL4 3W Led into old scouts.

The batteries have to be reversed and the LED light needs a piece of tape, but its doable.

So, are you saying (1) I need the LED techology, but (2) it may be advantageous to buy an old scout and upgrade it?

Underwater Kinetics' Canadian web site lists a "Module, SL4 eLED" (Part 0032705 80504 8). Is that the item you had in mind?

So, are you saying (1) I need the LED techology, but (2) it may be advantageous to buy an old scout and upgrade it?
You don't need LED. The old bulbs are fine (better than the 1W LED's IMO)
, but there is an upgrade path if you change your mind. (The focus is usually better on the old bulbs, but the 3W LED's come close)

Underwater Kinetics' Canadian web site lists a "Module, SL4 eLED" (Part 0032705 80504 8). Is that the item you had in mind?
Sounds right.

the xenon's are great. cheaper and penetrate better than the leds IMO
they may not as reliable as led if that's a concern

The Scout wouldn't be my choice as a recreational light. It's fine for a backup and the beam is better for signalling, but if you need a primary light, it doesn't provide much light and then the beam becomes too narrow. I own 2 btw.

The Scout with the eLed module in it is a nice light as a cave backup, or for backup for Puget Sound murk, where the ability to punch through the particulates is important. The cost of the Scout and the SL4 will run you about $120 plus shipping. You will also end up with a fairly useful household flashlight or snorkeling type backup light, with the xenon module in the SL4 body.

If you are looking for a nice, small, bright light for recreational diving purposes, the Intova lights are very nice and seem to be doing well for durability, and they can be had for about half that price.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom