Old unused regulator - is reviving it an option?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A guy gave me a very old all metal Scubapro MK3/108 once (that was the model prior to the Mk2....yeah I know, weird numbering) Anyhow it was so corroded and green that I thought it was just going to be wall art. The body of the first stage and the metal second stage were so bad that almost all the chrome was rotted off and the brass underneath was totally pitted with verdigris all over it. One day I decided to take it apart piece by piece and see just how bad it really was. Mind you, this guy got it used in 1970, used it until 1990, never cleaned or soaked it once, and never had it serviced.
He finally hung it up on a nail in his garage where it lived until I got it in 2010.
The screws to the second stage cover were corroded/welded shut so I had to drill those out (the second stage was a chore), but the 1st stage actually came apart fairly easily. I was surprised to find that it actually wasn't as bad as I though it would be. It was completely dried out, no lubrication at all. But it came clean with a good vinegar soak. In those MK3-Mk2 unbalanced piston type regs there's only one moving part (the piston), a spring, a few shim washers, a high pressure seat, and 2 O-rings. The O-rings I found at a hardware store, the HP seat I flipped over, I lubed everything up then put it back together and it worked fine! I couldn't believe it.
It was easier than changing a tire on my truck.
Later I decided to sand off any of the chrome that was left and I polished out the brass so it looked like a piece of jewelry, like a gold anniversary reg.
So your 10 yo MK2 is probably like brand new compared to what I had.
I also have a MK2 and it's very similar inside to the MK3 - some newer different sizes of things, but same basic design.
In fact, those MK2's are so simple and so bulletproof that I wouldn't hesitate to use that reg for the rest of my life for the simple dives I do these days.

still didnt get my hands on it - but found it is a scubapro g250 hd. assume that this will not change the overall judgement drastically?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Still using Scubapros from the late '70s and early '80s. Same as today's except for some part updates when serviced. When is it considered old??

still didnt get my hands on it - but found it is a scubapro g250 hd. assume that this will not change the overall judgement drastically?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The G250 HP is the model of the second stage. It is basically S600 internals in a larger case. Some people dislike the regulator because the older G-250 was simpler and had a metal air barrel. However, it is a good breather and can be updated with new S600 parts.

I am not sure what first stage it was paired with. I would assume a MK-16 or a MK-20. Keep us informed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom