Old unused regulator - is reviving it an option?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

but as i said: they were lying arround - not at all taken care of :wink:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

are they ridiculously pitted, severely corroded and seized?

If no to the above, they likely have life ahead of them.... Might need more than basic service parts...

yeah - i dont really know why i wrote them of - so long i didnt lay hand on them and rented haha. well - ill get them from my friends warehouse and then go to a diveshop to see whats the best course. actually - other than rubber parts there should not be much that goes by time without use (mistreat excluded). lets see

I expect you are talking about a Mk2/R190. as long as it was put away clean and stored in a reasonable environment, I would not be surprised to find that it is perfectly usable right now, without service. The shame is that the only part that would likely be a problem is the LP seat and even that might just need a small adjustment. That LP seat costs the manufacturer a penny or two, but a complete service will probably run you over $100.:(

If the reg was rinsed well before it started lying around, it will probably be in the same shape it was when it started it's rest. I was given a Sherwood 4000 from the '70's that sat for over 30 years, I put it on a tank and it worked perfectly, I did service it before any "real" dives to insure it's reliability.

Bob
-----------------------------------
I swear its not hoarding dear, I'm just keeping an adequate stock of equipment and parts. It's life support, you know.

*confidence rising* what u guys say really make me feel silly writing them of (for no reason - just the feeling that they should be serviced every year and mine havent been used at all basically let me think that way).

while a 100usd+ maintenance sounds bad i should compare it to buying new - what i was planning initially :wink: so its fine.

i might ask the shop to add some flextubes though :wink:

Is it too late to suggest you toss it...

In a box and send it to me? :D

I dive regs that are 4xs older. Some that sat static even longer than that! Like the others have said, if it was rinsed well after, and isn't all pitted and locked up, you should have a decent reg once rebuilt.

but as i said: they were lying arround - not at all taken care of :wink:

Unless you stored it in a bucket of salt water, or at the bottom of a muddy pond, it should be fine.

If it was clean and dry, and stored away from corrosive chemicals, extreme temperature changes, direct sunlight... I'm with awap.... there is a better than 50% chance that you could possibly dive it without service, as is. That is not what I'd recommend (it should be tested and inspected carefully), but at the very worst it should only need to be serviced. The hoses will probably be "ok" if it was stored properly.

Best wishes.

The low-end of the Scubapro line was the MK2/R190 and a small step up was the MK-16/R190. The MK-16 did have an update to make it more like a MK-11, its successor.

still awaiting my friend gathering it from the warehouse :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom