Old unused regulator - is reviving it an option?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

skedzinger

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi there, bit of a special situation I am in here:

I have regulator - which is about 10 years old. Thing is - it has only been in use the first year of those 10.

I was doing my Advanced in Germany and then headed to Spain for a dive trip. After that - the regulator was not used anymore. Then I moved to China - from where I - very sporadically - did some dive trips in the last 10 years. I had my regulator sent over - but Due to the Din connector - it appeared to be easier to just rent (not aware of the INT-Din adaptor that whould have solved this even easier at the time).

So - my question basically is:

Is a 10 years old, only lying in the shelf entry range Scubapro regulator worth bothering with? Will it be reaching it's original performance when giving it for maintenance - or should I better just toss it?

Thanks for opinions!

That would be half the age of anything we dive with.

yes - but yours probably have been maintained and serviced, right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If there isn't any major corrosion on the inside, it shouldn't be a problem after a full service.

Mk2's are still sold today. That's about as entry-level Scubapro as you can get.

The MK2 is actually the first Regulator that was purely SCUBAPRO. It was introduced in 1963, the first year of SCUBAPRO, and is still offered now with only a few modifications. This regulator is without a doubt the most dependable first stage in the world. It is a standard piston design.

Unless you stored it full of salt water it should still be serviceable. What model is it?

i'll have to check exact model once i get my hands on it (stored at a friends place). many thanks for the opinions. my hope to save a few bucks just rose considerably :wink:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

my first regs were garage sale finds and >10 years old when I got them and started diving, 25 years ago. I still have them, and they function fine...

A 10 year old regulator isn't something I would consider "old" if it's been taken care of at all. It will need maintenance and maybe some new hoses but there's no reason to think that it needs to be replaced.

I think the best performing regulator I have in my collection may be an Aqualung that I bought in 2002 or 2003.

R..

Back
Top Bottom