Old story: which system to move into from point&shoot

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Michael Kazma

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I know this has been asked may times but would like to get the most up to date info/advise. I am using a point and shoot sea&sea system with one strobe. Would like to move up to a DSLR system to do wide angle shark and wreck shots and macro stuff. Obviously as I am new to SLR systems I want to keep it on the "cheaper" side. What would you recommend?

Last edited:
Michael,
cheaper side and DSLR are quite on the opposite ...

You may get a used rig, that's usually the most "economic" way to get in UW DSLR photography.

This for example: http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=38505&hl=
Consider at least 500$ for one used Ikelite DS-125/160/161/200 strobe.
Optical Triggered Slave Strobes may not work on this housing!

Chris

The last one is a very old DSLR from the first generation of cameras. It will be OK but maybe not so easy to use. I would recommend that you look at the EVIL (electronic viewfinder interchangeable lens) systems like the Olympus EPL-1. What is your realistic total budget. For $1000 you will get at least 5x as much usefulness as you would get with the 10D system. For $1200 you could get a Nikon D70/Ike system with three ports. You would still need a strobe and a lens. If you really, are limited why not look at the Canon S90 in the Canon housing with a single strobe and wide angle and macro add on lenses.

Buying really old stuff is always a very big risk but you might get lucky. Someone in your dive club must have an old film system even to let you play with really cheap if it comes to that.

Bill

Hi Guys,

I am also in the same kind of situation. I currently shoot with a DX1G Sea & Sea with YS 110a Strobe and wide angle wet lens. I am getting some great shots from it, especially now i am using the RAW format however i am starting to feel like i need to upgrade my set up to be able to develop my skills further.

I currently have an option for what seems to be a good deal for a Canon D550 and the Sea & Sea RDX550 with standard port for around US$1,900. I already have the Stay arm and Strobe so that isn't an issue.

Does anybody know if this is a good deal and what other options might be available?

Regards

Last edited by a moderator:
+1 for the EPL-1 with the Olympus housing -- brand new around $1000 for the camera, kit lens that does a pretty good macro job and barely passable WA (28 mm equiv), and a very nice housing.

It IS a dSLR but without the mirror and viewfinder which means it is a little slower to focus but much better than the PnS like the S95 or G12.

And unlike an older dSLR, it does have HiDef Video (720p).

Read the reviews and contemplate.

It is a great deal. Don't pass it up! The T2i has been nominated for camera of the year for 2010 plus a great housing. You can't go wrong

+1 for the EPL-1 with the Olympus housing -- brand new around $1000 for the camera, kit lens that does a pretty good macro job and barely passable WA (28 mm equiv), and a very nice housing.

It IS a dSLR but without the mirror and viewfinder which means it is a little slower to focus but much better than the PnS like the S95 or G12.

And unlike an older dSLR, it does have HiDef Video (720p).

Read the reviews and contemplate.
Sorry to be a curmudgeon but if you know what SLR means then you know that the EPL-1 isn't one. It does have interchangeable lenses but does not have the bits that make a DSLR one.

Bill

Do some research. Go to retail sites for underwater cameras like Backscatter, Reef Photo etc.... See what their package deals sell for new, then you can compare that to used systems for sale here, at wetpixel and other sites. Divephotoguide.com has some very good tutorials. Also I wish people would just come to terms with posting their budget! :D Makes things sooo much easier.

Back
Top Bottom