Old steels denied fills due to store "policy"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Perhaps you should take your tanks to airgas for a 2200 psi fill.
I have never received a pressure vessel from a major welding supply company that is any older then 20 years.
I have received them nearly 100 years old.

Perhaps you should take your tanks to airgas for a 2200 psi fill.
I have never received a pressure vessel from a major welding supply company that is any older then 20 years.

Why not get them filled at another dive shot that will get you a full 3000psi? That is what Ana did. It is what I would have done.

Congrats, I guess? I can’t honestly tell you the last time I looked at a born on date. I also can’t tell you of my fathers’ tanks ever being refused a fill at a welding supply company. And those thanks are going to be way over 20 years old now. Probably closer to 45.

Will you please tell us when the last in hydro, in vis, steel tank failed?
Are you willing to bare hug the inquisition tank well it's being filled? Yes or no?

Are you willing to bare hug the inquisition tank well it's being filled? Yes or no?
Are the fill monkeys bear hugging them? Would you take it as a fair answer if I am willing to hang out with said monkey while they go about their business? I’d love to chat with the person and see what I can pick up.

Are the fill monkeys bear hugging them? Would you take it as a fair answer if I am willing to hang out with said monkey while they go about their business? I’d love to chat with the person and see what I can pick up.
No are you willing to be the human shield well the tank is being filled? Yes or no?

So any one can refuse to do any dive for any reason. Is it not unreasonable for someone to refuse the unnecessary risk of filling a 48 year old rotten tank?

The end of the day it's the fill monkeys life it's the shop owners building, inshurance, and reputation. And perhaps the potential loss of 1 coustomer that expects you to fill a set of 48 year old Craigslist tanks is the cost of operating a facility that put safety ahead of profits.

How about this . If you are so confident that your 48 year old tanks are safe then you must be willing to bare hug the tank well the " untrained tank monkey " fills it?

Well, I *am* the fill monkey, so I already do that. But sure: a 48-year-old hydroed and vised tank in visibly good condition? ABSOLUTELY.

I've seen welding tanks from literally the 1900's. Not the century: the decade. These things get treated... without thought. Steel tanks are incredibly robust.

My question to you: other than your emotions (also known as "gut"), what makes you think that the tank is the least unsafe?

Faber has stated that their tanks can go through 40,000 HYDRO cycles minimum. HYDROING it twice a *DAY* lasts 55 years. Yeah, I'm fine with filling it.

I was going to suggest Fill Express-I didn't know they closed. Have they moved or totally closed down? I remember when Fill Express was owned by Dive Gear Express (Dive Rite Express at the time IIRC.) DGX is also in your neck of the woods and worth considering but you have to be careful or you're liable to see a few items you "need" while waiting. Which brings us back to the silly policy of the shop who lost ALL of your business.

Fill Express was the fill operation of Dive Gear Express. They shut it down and Pura Vida bought their fill setup/equipment. Dive Gear Express is still around and very healthy but they do not offer fills.

So any one can refuse to do any dive for any reason. Is it not unreasonable for someone to refuse the unnecessary risk of filling a 48 year old rotten tank?
Ah, now I see the disconnect. I am pretty sure that everyone else in the thread was talking about tanks in VIP and hydro. Now that I understand we are talking about rotten tanks it is making more sense.

Edited because I screwed up the quote.

Again welding cylinders operate at a much lower working pressure and I stand by my assertion that praxair or air gas have never provided me with a rental tank older than 20 years. Yes I have seen many privately owned tanks that predate the first world war.

Faber make that statement based on ideal conditions.

Now take a tank that has been exposed to the elements , cleaned , tumbled , and refinished multiple times and the material may have been compromised.
How much confidence do you have in the visual inspection? Dose it have vip sticker from a shop you know dose good work or dose it have a generic ebay vip sticker and a set of harborfraight hydro stamps on it.

Trusting your gut is not a bad thing. I cant beleave you all expect a shop to fill a tank that they feel is unsafe.

No are you willing to be the human shield well the tank is being filled? Yes or no?

Oh my god, dramatic much? NO ONE should be a "human shield". What a false dichotomy!

Statistically, even the "bad" Aluminum tanks ruptured in double-digits *total*. There aren't anywhere near 50 tank explosions in a year. And how many fills: millions? Amigos in Florida probably does 100,000 fills a year *alone*. 30,000+ people die on American highways a *year*. If you drive a few miles to the dive store to fill your "bad" tanks, you were more likely to die driving than filling that tank.

And steel tanks are an order of magnitude (at least!) safer.

But sure, "for the children", let's throw away hundreds of thousands of perfectly fine tanks.

Do you know how ecologically *nasty* building HDG steel tanks is? Sure: let's do that. Just so your irrational sense of "safety" can be satisfied.

Back
Top Bottom