Old steels denied fills due to store "policy"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And this is the bottom line. Their fill station, their rules. And having been an operator, with rules that some felt were too onerous, I completely get it.

It also makes sense given the fact that the policy was instituted after an employee lost half his hand from an exploding tank. Sure, that was the old alloy aluminum tank but not really that unreasonable to, after that incident, have a blanket ban on all old tanks.

What reference piece will you use or would you?
Stand off?
Different diameter of cylinders?
How do you know if your signal has transitions from compression to shear wave - what could be the cause?
Paint thickness? corrosion? What would be the effects?

Asking for a friend...
All of my UT devices come with a reference standard. It would be quite worthless without being able to check calibration prior to use.

Stand off is most often contact with mine, for both aluminum as well as steel.

With a small probe like the one shown, cylinder diameter is unlikely to matter. That probe should work fine down to 1" pipe diameter or so.

And interpreting signal transitions is what training is for. That's the whole point, is to decide if you have corrosion.

And interpreting signal transitions is what training is for. That's the whole point, is to decide if you have corrosion.

Ahh the old training cost.

I would disagree that that probe would detect any corrosion smaller then would be seen by a vis for that you'd want to see a waveform
you need to account for paint thickness etc.

So I think we can agree that the cost of additional inspections (charged to the customer) isn't worth that of a new cylinder ?

I would disagree that that probe would detect any corrosion smaller then would be seen by a vis for that you'd want to see a waveform

So I think we can agree that the cost of additional inspections (charged to the customer) isn't worth that of a new cylinder ?
Yes. So, time to find Pompano Dive Center who feels the same as me about what to fill..... :)

Reactions: Ana

And, there was a training cost and a development cost to train monkeys at the LDS to use the neck eddy current machine. It would have been far less expensive to just condemn all 6351 cylinders....

Unlikely that it will be undoing for Force-E. They have had this policy for about 20 years now and they are still doing fine.

I'd love to see that policy.
I have receipts of filling these 7 tanks at that particular Force E, since Fill Express closed. Suddenly they said no this past Sunday.

Hi @Ana

Where does your husband usually get your tanks filled? Was this the 1st time you went into this Force E for fills or was it just the 1st time on a weekend?

That's the thing, he's been going there since Fill Express closed we even had a fill card for I dunno how many fills. I just read another post that they had that policy for 20 years, so why suddenly say no to us, instead of the first day we walked in with close to a dozen tanks.

I'm not questioning their policy. Their shop their rules. But you'd thin the instant I contact them online they should've answer with their policy. Here we do this and don't do that. But that wasn't the case, sounds to me like it isn't a very well defined policy, even the guy filling the tanks wasn't clear on the cut out date.

Me being a customer doesn't make or brake any shop. Like many people has said above, many shops has "special" rules, good for them. But out of the blues? I think is uncool so I come to the only diving board that I frequent on and off for the last 16 years and vent about it.
Who knows maybe I'll save the trip to another old fart like me, that doesn't rely on beliefs but understands the science of metals and pressure.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom