Old OMS manifold still considered "safe"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Anyone know where to get the end caps so I can break the set apart to make a pair of sidemount tanks?

Not sure, I don't have possession of the tanks yet. Do you mean the threads that go into the tank? Or the threads needed for the end cap?

The threads needed for the end caps. The tank threads don't matter.

didnt know they were making these again! although that price is highway robbery :/

didnt know they were making these again! although that price is highway robbery :/
$17 for a low volume piece of machined stainless or chromed brass?
Seems incredibly reasonable to me. I have the tooling, stock, and ability to make my own. I would pay $17 for one before I ever turned on the lathe.

Pirahna also started selling these.
Handy item for those of us hoarding these old pst tanks.

$17 for the plugs vs how much for new valves?
DGX valves are up to about $55 now. But if you're going to overhaul your OMS valves and plug the crossbar you're looking at least $50 in parts.

DGX valves are up to about $55 now. But if you're going to overhaul your OMS valves and plug the crossbar you're looking at least $50 in parts.
$35, including the cap.
$9 more than any other valve including blanking caps/plugs.
It more comes down to availability. A lot of the older PST HP tanks I get in have OMS valves/manifolds. Until last year when Pirahna brought back 7/8 valves/manifolds, your only option was to fix it. New wasn't available.

$35, including the cap.
$9 more than any other valve including blanking caps/plugs.
It more comes down to availability. A lot of the older PST HP tanks I get in have OMS valves/manifolds. Until last year when Pirahna brought back 7/8 valves/manifolds, your only option was to fix it. New wasn't available.
DQX had 7/8" valves for awhile. I dont remember when they sold out of those.

I dont know where you get your OMS valve parts nowadays, I used to get them at NESS as they were the only source at the time. And they were expensive (way more than $9 extra) and very annoying - mostly because I really hate crush washers, uniquely threaded HP seats, and their oversized non-modular burst disks with the teeny separate nylon washer. I still have 4 of these valves, thankfully not bothering to keep them O2 clean and I only rarely overhaul them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom