Old new tanks?????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have to agree with Jimmer. Considering how easily tanks get scratched, I would not waste the effort on them, they look pretty good. Like everyone else said there is nothing wrong with the J valves, if they are fairly easy to open and close use them as is, just leave the reserve lever in the down position.

Recycling an aluminum cylinder around here means selling it to a paintball player. These guys will pay more than you expect for a used tank, regardless of the year it was made.

Thanks for all the great input. Here is what I have come up with:

The steels all passed Hydro and Vis, the AL-80's are both unfillible due to the neck crakcing issue. I am going to keep two of the steels and sell the reaming two. I am going to make a set of doubles for my girlfriend to use since I have a set of lp 108's. When she is going to get a set of HP 119's for her doubles eventually but untill then I am going to make a set of doubles for her using the 72's. Thanks again for all the help. We are going to strip and repaint the two 72's for her, or should I say she is since its going to be her project. Thanks again for all the help.

Can you posts pics as the project is being done? I have a set also coming and I might attempt it myself. Tim

Recycling an aluminum cylinder around here means selling it to a paintball player. These guys will pay more than you expect for a used tank, regardless of the year it was made.

Why do they want a tank that has neck cracking issues?

Why do they want a tank that has neck cracking issues?

Could be the paintballers aren't as paranoid as the divers. Hadn't heard of any paintballers blown apart lately, for that matter no divers either.

Could be the paintballers aren't as paranoid as the divers. Hadn't heard of any paintballers blown apart lately, for that matter no divers either.

Exactly.

Update: First 2 steel 72's just returned from Hydro and VIP. Having them O2 cleaned today. Should have them back in hand by the end of the week. However, Im leaving for COZ on Saturday for a week of diving. When I get back I am going to start the stripping and Re-Coating process. I was able to find the ZRC gavalite product from a local welding supply store. Going to Strip them down and re-coat them. I will post pics as the project takes shape. I am going to convert these to stage/deco bottles and the remaining two 72's are going to be doubled up for my girlfriend to use. She is currently diving one of my LP 108's with her drysuit.

Last week I found a good deal on a set of LP 104's with OMS Isolation (200 bar) manifold and OMS valves. I am going to take the valves and manifolds off the 104's and use it on my 108's. The 104's will be converted to singles for quarry dives with our dry suits.

Stu: I found several paintballers, but none that want the tanks out of Hydro. The tanks were produced during the "neck cracking issue" era. More than likely they will end up being a nice set of garage antiques, but I hope not.

I wanted to say thanks again for alll the input.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom