"Old Jorge"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sharky60

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Back home, where I grew up, there was an old oak tree, very old, with a trunk close to 4 feet in diameter, we called it "Old George". I have no idea why.

So I've decided to name the old ceiba tree on the south end of the highway twards Punta Sur "Old Jorge".

Having said that, has anyone been able to venture down that far and see how Old Jorge has fared thru Wilma?

sharky60:
Back home, where I grew up, there was an old oak tree, very old, with a trunk close to 4 feet in diameter, we called it "Old George". I have no idea why.

So I've decided to name the old ceiba tree on the south end of the highway twards Punta Sur "Old Jorge".

Having said that, has anyone been able to venture down that far and see how Old Jorge has fared thru Wilma?

We have already named it.

Here's the story: My dad (now deceased) and mom were out by themselves going around the island some 25 years ago, and they stopped to look at it. A Mexican couple came up on a moped and stopped, too. My mom in her terrible Spanish tried to ask them what kind of tree it is; the couple did not speak English. The closest she could get to the question was sort of garbled "What is its name?" Of course, the couple tried to answer in Spanish, but my mom understood (she's better now) very little Spanish, so after some good natured what's and que's all around, the guy looked at her and said, very slowly, "Tree, lady".

So call it what want, but to us, it's name is Tree. ;^)

And yes, I am very concerned about it, too. We make a pilgrimage to Tree at least once on every visit to Cozumel.

Mr. G,

Ok, in honor of your dad...Tree it is! I love that story, it's so typical of the tourist to local converstions we have had ourselves in the past. As hard as I try, my Spanish is sketchy at best.

It's funny the things we get attached to, my wife and I are the same way, we just have to go see it and marvel at what has happend in the lifespan of it. Just think, Columbus, Jean Laffite or Henry Morgan may have stood next to that tree. It was of course much younger then, but I still like to fantasize that it's a marker on some pirate map somewhere for buried treasure. Once a romantic.. always a romantic.

sharky60:
Just think, Columbus, Jean Laffite or Henry Morgan may have stood next to that tree.
Hey - Jaucques Cousteau himself might have stood next to Tree :)

geraldp:
Hey - Jaucques Cousteau himself might have stood next to Tree :)

This is true. I think it would be something he would have wanted to see.

Guys! Hi my name is Maxi...i live in Cedral, and i tried to go over there, but there is a police who wouldn´t let us go...
I like your stories about that tree! Now I can name it too: Tree!
Maxi

Bartmaxi:
Guys! Hi my name is Maxi...i live in Cedral, and i tried to go over there, but there is a police who wouldn´t let us go...
I like your stories about that tree! Now I can name it too: Tree!
Maxi

My mom told me this morning that she has seen an online post-Wilma photo of Tree. He's largely stripped of foliage, but he is still standing proud. Long may he wave!

Oh, I know that tree...I thought that was the one you were talking about...glad to see her still there...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom