old HP 110s from 1980s - advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiverDun

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm looking for one or two more tanks and came across someone selling HP 110 steel tanks he thinks are from the 1980s. The makes are:
DiveEqip 3000
Scubamaster
US Divers

They are 8 yrs out of hydro but have been maintained in a pressurized state.
Are these worth looking at? Would they be heavier than more recent HP 100s, ie are recent HP tanks made of stronger metal and therefore have thinner walls?

I want one for my wife who is not very big. I have one HP 100 and love it so I thought more would be good.

Do I need to be concerned about the value type?

Thanks

Jim

The weight of older and some new HP cylinders varys a lot. Some are very negative when empty while some are only a few pounds negative. The extra negativity will just come off of the weight belt so it's not really a penalty though it will diminish ditchable weight if that's a concern.

Reposting with all of the cylnder stampings would help. Seems odd that a HP cylinder would be branded as DiveEquip 3000. Most HP cylinders in this hemisphere are 3500 PSI except the new pseudo HP cylinders that get under the DIN requirement by a few atmospheres at 3442 PSI and have the DIN/yoke valves.

As for the valve it sounds like it should be a 7 thread DIN valve so you'd need to have that as your regulator inlet.

Pete

I will see the tanks tomorrow and will take pictures of them to get their stamplings. Both sets of regs have a DIN vaulve so this is good.
I take it then that old HP steel tanks can last forever and I shouldn't be too concerned about the age. Should the price be defined by the age? He is asking $300 for each and I think half that is fair. My LDS shuggested even lower, ie $100 each.

Jim

DiverDun:
Would they be heavier than more recent HP 100s, ie are recent HP tanks made of stronger metal and therefore have thinner walls?

They are more than likely 3AA cylinders instead or the new high stength Exempt cylinders now hitting the market. The wall thickness on 3AA clyinders would add considerable weight or they could be billet pierce or tube cylinders instead of drawn which, because of the technique used causes them to be heavier.

Lee
www.seapearls.com

For what that guy is asking you can add a bit to it and buy brand new in hydro tanks. Personally I don't even haggle if a person is that far out of line, but in any case I would limit my offer.

$100 at MOST for the tanks, and there's no guarantee you'll be able to put them in service. I would most likely pass on this offer.

Thanks for all the comments.
I was able to go see the tanks today. As suggested they are different than advertised.
I did not have time to record all the numbers but took some photos.

The best I could make out from the photos are the following but I could have some errors:
DOT3AA3000 E664 DIVO 70+PST
DOT3AA2250 6160 ( I think )
DOT3AA2250 45438 ( I think ) USD

Two of them had J valves on them.
So at least two are low pressure not HP. Anyone know what the volume is?

Thanks

Jim

Back
Top Bottom