Old Healthways Scubair - Gem or Junk?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Six2Life

Contributor
Reaction score
I picked this thing up at a local yard sale. It looks like it is in really good shape. Sure breathes like crap though.

Is it worth anything or should I pitch it?

DSC_0007.jpg

They breathe like crap. DON'T "pitch it".

I worked for Healthways in the early 70's. The regulator is an unbalanced design. As mentioned above it is a poor breather. It is, however, a collectors item for those who like vintage gear.

Certainly not the best reg ever but never ever chunk an old reg. Some one somewhere wants it, if for nothing other than a display piece. It's worth $10-15 on ebay.

Not everyday you see one with the neck strap still intact.

They would be great vinatge regs if we could only get diaphragms for them. CHeap as can be, and the chrome is usually in good shape, but without the diaphragms, there's little chance you'll getting breathing again.

They are 'PUUurrrrteeee' though.

I began diving with a Healthways Scubair J with the chrome exhaust tee, very similar to your regulator. They are hard breathers by modern or vintage standards, although they are very reliable, if you can find the parts. Don't junk it, while not worth much $$, they are still good equipment to collect.

The first stage is about the same as a SP MK3 except it has a J lever on it.
They breathe about like a MK3/108. The 108 might breathe a tad better due to a better diaphram?
Not great, but they do breathe.

Until diaphragms are available, there are a couple of things you can do to make it breath better. First off is to make sure the reserve is open/off. That is the knurled knob on the side of the reg. Replace the exhaust valve in the second stage and make sure it's tuned as best as it can. The 1962 HW catalog has a parts breakdown in the back.

Junk? Well I suppose it depends on if you like to collect or not. It's not a good performer, but if you're from the day, it brings back memories and is worth keeping.

Back
Top Bottom