Nearly new Scubair - worth anything?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cthippo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
My well meaning but generally clueless mother picked this up for me at a thrift shop recently and I am trying to figure out what to do with it.

I've gotten as far as figuring out that it is a Healthways Scubair model 1665 regulator, in the box, with the strap, minus any instructions. By the look of it, I doubt it has ever been in the water, and it has a J valve built into the reg, rather than the tank valve.

So, my questions are...

1: How old is this likely to be, and can I figure that out from the serial Number?

2: Is there any market for these?

3: Is this a good candidate for learning to service regs with? I would rather learn on something i don't plan to ever use in case of oopsie.

Attachments

• photo_2022-11-14_15-41-31.jpg
    photo_2022-11-14_15-41-31.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 63
  • photo_2022-11-14_15-41-51.jpg
    photo_2022-11-14_15-41-51.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 65
  • photo_2022-11-14_15-41-55.jpg
    photo_2022-11-14_15-41-55.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 65
  • photo_2022-11-14_15-41-58.jpg
    photo_2022-11-14_15-41-58.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 64
My well meaning but generally clueless mother picked this up for me at a thrift shop recently and I am trying to figure out what to do with it.

I've gotten as far as figuring out that it is a Healthways Scubair model 1665 regulator, in the box, with the strap, minus any instructions. By the look of it, I doubt it has ever been in the water, and it has a J valve built into the reg, rather than the tank valve.

So, my questions are...

1: How old is this likely to be, and can I figure that out from the serial Number?

2: Is there any market for these?

3: Is this a good candidate for learning to service regs with? I would rather learn on something i don't plan to ever use in case of oopsie.
I believe they were late 50s early 60s regs... Value is hit or miss (not a lot but just the right person may pay more due to condition and original box, I'll check with some buddies on a different forum that are Healthways fans).
Regardless, please don't use it as a sacrificial reg to learn self service. There are some unusual nuances to that reg set that are atypical to modern regs, and that is a great example of it. If you want some regs to learn self service on, let me know and I can set you up (sacrificial reg or just some robust easy regs to learn and then use).

Respectfully,

James

1. That first/second stage combo is shown in the 1962 thru 1968 Healthways catalogs.
2. Not much market, Scubairs go for around $25 on ebay. The box might help bring the price up slightly for a vintage collector.
3. Good advice and offer by James79.

it is amazing to me how worthless this old dive gear is. I guess nobody with money collects it.

Or they already have it, it isn't like there are large numbers of scuba equipment collectors.

What a beauty!
Amazing that it in it's perfect condition is valued so low.
I was very happy when I was offered a Scubair 300 in mint condition for 80,- bugs (without box).
But seems to be right, there are not that many Scuba Reg Collectors out there.
Anyway, great find!

Attachments

• P1060825.JPG
    P1060825.JPG
    87.1 KB · Views: 55
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom