Old Healthways found...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

psiborg1812

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all, today while working @ a dive shop somebody dropped off an old Healthways Scubair "J." Does anybody dive Healthways? Any idea on when they were made, whether or not they are still diveable? Where are parts for this model?

Thanks!

The Scubair J is from the mid 60's. Not likely many are diving them these days. Original parts are pretty much non existant but you could likely find substitutes if you took the time to hunt around. Not much in them other than a few Orings and a nylon HP seat in the first stage and a common rubber seat in the second stage. Odds are the HP seat from a Scubapro MK-2 or a Sherwood would work. The second stage seat is used in a lot of current regs so that is no problem. The biggest issue is the second stage diaghram, they were stiff new and worse old. So far I have not found a good substitute. Assuming the reg is still functioning...and with a good cleaning it likely is, you could dive it but the performance is not going to be very good.

I worked for Healthways in the early 70's. I would suggest that the old Scubair J be a wall decoration. Current model regs have far superior perfomance. This is, IMO, a collectors item.

psiborg1812,
If you want to find out how well an old Scubair breathes, just get canister type vacuum cleaner (one with a hose), stick the end of the hose into your mouth and turn on the vacuum. Now, inhale. That's about what they breathe like!:D

Lol, thanks guys, I think this will just have to be a store display model then!:D

Psiborg18121,

The Healthways Scuba Star regulator was my second regulator in about 1962. They are very simply in design, and those who mentioned that parts are not available were correct, but they probably are not needed. The piston design means that for all these years, there has been no pressure on the seat at all. So it will probably work just fine if you service it. I bought a Scuba Star off e-bay a while back, just to have one around. I fixed it up, took in into the pool, and it worked about as well as it did in the 1960s. I would not hesitate to fix up your Scuba-J, and take it into the pool just to try it out. Heck, I took an old US Divers Aquamatic into the pool last summer, and it breathed about the same as it did in the 1950s--bad. But it worked and reminded me of my first open water experience with scuba in Lake Oswego, Oregon when that was a new regulator. So go ahead, fix it up, and try it out; but pool only :wink:

SeaRat

Last edited:
I agree John, I have several of the old regs and almost without exception after a good cleaning and lubing they worked as good as new. psiborg1812, the HP seats on them can be flipped over if necessary and the LP seat in the second stage is a very common one used in almost all low end current regs or with a hole punch and a strip of rubber you can make your own (I forget the exact punch number but can look it up if you need it). I have no issues diving them from a safety standpoint but they are not the best breathing reg I have. That said, the old HW first stage with a more modern second stage would do nicely for most easy diving.

I'm a big fan of Healthways and have collected a lot of the gear they made. I think their single hose regs are cool collectible's just because of the metal exhaust. I've got a Scubair and a Scubastar that I will rebuild someday. Probably won't dive 'em much as doublehoses are much more preferred.

From another "Old Coot" I started diving in 1960. My first system was a 72 cylinder with straps, a DH regulator (don't remember what brand), fins, mast, weight belt, knife and compass. For all this I paid $125. I never had a rig on before and I tried it in a pool. Not long after that, it was recomended to me that I purchase a SH Waterlung Navy Unit. I dove with it till 1992 when I quit diving altogether. I have started again this year at age 69. You are not alone!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom