old dive rite lead battery

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

awdemeo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
is their a way to upgrade the lead battery in the old dive rite canister lights or are you stuck with lead battery to run the light thanks for the help.
I also heard you can send it back to dive rite to have an led head put on will they be able to upgrade the battery

If you've got the wreck canister, there are two upgrades available if you have the single 2.9 amp SLA battery. The first is pairing and paralleling two 2.3 amp SLAs for a combined 4.6 amp pack. The advantage with this upgrade is you can continue using the same charger so the cost to DIY is under $50.

There is also NiMh battery pack upgrade available that requires a new charger. DR will have to provide the details on that for you because I opted to stick with the DIY SLA upgrade.

And yes, DR can upgrade the black 10w HID lighthead with the LED 700 emitter (they can not upgrade the brown/bronze lighthead, only the black). I had this upgrade done and I'd say I'm mostly happy. I wish the beam was just a little tighter than it is.

If I was doing it again, I'd go with the new 15w HID upgrade (twice the light of the 10w HID) :)

There is no reason you cant change to any type of battery that will fit as long as the voltage will work with your light head. The 10w HIDs have a narrow voltage band that they are designed to work with. Im nor sure about the DR LED upgrade but I have upgraded a few DR lights with a custom LED set up and this allowed for a voltage input of 7 volt to 13 .2 volt. It also produced a narrower and much brighter beam than the 10w HID for the same power consumption.

Back
Top Bottom