Old 72 question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Herman '
It is a Sportsways valve

Sportsways was created by Dick Klein as a professional line of Healthways
Dick hired Sam 'the crook" Le cocq to run it and he ran it into the ground - it was sold to a local hub cap manufacture an slowly disappeared .
It is assumed there would be Sportsways/Healthways products in the east - during this era Sears was featuring Healthways dive products
But not in the west...

SDM

I have a 1/2 NGT valve in a bin somewhere, but I've not seen a NGT tank

Looks like NGT

My bad, that's NPS, also known as NPSM. This is the standard for the 3/4 and 1/2 inch SCUBA tank straight thread.

Wanted to fess up to bad memory before I changed them.

Bob

Sportsways Catalog
7701 East Compton Blvd< Paramount, California

Part # 1104k $7.95 1/2 inch Standard Pipe Thread
O ring sealed

SDM
So would the SX valve work in its place? Add an o-ring? I have made larger mistakes than $75, but if I can avoid it I would rather like that.

I’m not sure which it is. I just got the valve off no Teflon tape, but also no o-ring on the neck. How can I check ?

Tank neck photos would be nice

Most modern tanks just use an enlarged straight area instead of the tapered area.

You must be talking aluminuminiumunum here Mr herman

Sportsways Catalog
7701 East Compton Blvd< Paramount, California

Part # 1104k $7.95 1/2 inch Standard Pipe Thread
O ring sealed

SDM

Sam is 100% correct! I have those same straight 1/2" o-ring sealed Sportsways threads on the manifold/valve for my 1963 twin Sportsways 38/42's.

XFnIkP.jpg

So would the SX valve work in its place? Add an o-ring? I have made larger mistakes than $75, but if I can avoid it I would rather like that.

No, the xs scuba 1/2 NPT wont work. afaik, there are no new valves being made and sold in 1/2 NPS. you would have to stick with a vintage valve.

@MaxE

sdm

I have come to the conclusion that that it’s NPS, so the XS valve is not an option, I’ll hold on to the tank for who knows what, but I don’t dive yoke so it’s of no value to me. I’ll see if I can get the other one hydro’s tumbles, clean whatever and diveable.

If they fail repurpose the tank.

Most common is a bell, but there are many many useful objects that can be made from a SCUBA tank.

Suggest that you search threads on this board for SCUBA Bells

sdm,

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom