Okoboji Ice Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wkndbum

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
:11:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ice diving trip went great. Nope, I didn't get cold, some of the other guys
did. I wore a Bare CD4 with a Carol Davis polartec underwear & Bare T100 underwear.

Did 2 dives on Sat & 1 on Sun. There is an old 40's vintage ice truck that went thru the ice in the 50's that we dove on. Some big (4 to 5lb) SmallMouths hanging around there. Vis was 40 to 45' until 7 divers got it silted up.

Dives were short (20m, 25m & 29m), not much to see after the truck. Computer log said 38 degrees.

Would I do it again? Yep, plan to, just not real soon.
Now I would like to do some Northwest US diving in cold water without having a tether attached & an ice roof above.

BlueWater Divers have a nice shop up there & seem to run a good operation. I plan on diving with them this spring, they do a 2 dive boat trip with air & weights for $55.

Any ? just shout.

Terry

I'm supposed to be there on Feb. 20th for my first open water drysute dives. I'm also assuming that there is a maintained dive hole somewhere? I can't belive there is any open water anywhere.

jafo

When I was there, Blue Water Divers had a "shack" on the ice about 2 blocks from their shop. They used a 4-wheeler & trailer to haul us & equip out. They had an ice hole cut (about 6' X 5') inside the shack that we dove in.

There may be some open water spots around the bridges by the 20th but I doubt it.

You may be jumping in the ICE HOLE!

Terry

Where is the truck that went through the ice located. I know that it is somewhere in Smith's bay. I am going to be in that area next month and would like to dive and photograph the truck, but don't want to spend all day looking for it.

Any help on the general vicinity would be most appreciated.

Randy

sdp:
Where is the truck that went through the ice located. I know that it is somewhere in Smith's bay. I am going to be in that area next month and would like to dive and photograph the truck, but don't want to spend all day looking for it.

Any help on the general vicinity would be most appreciated.

Randy

It's in the Bay in front of Arnold's Park. Blue Water Divers has their shop right there. Stop in & they could probably point right to it from the shop. I think you'll probably need a boat.

Terry

Thank you for the information.

I was hoping for something a bit more more specific. Like 500yds due north from the dive shop in 20' of water. Smith's bay in front of Arnolds Park is still a pretty big search area.

I have a boat and will be there in November. I am not sure if Blue Water Divers will be open that time of the year. Lots of businesses close down for the winter.

I did send an email to Blue Water Divers to see if they know the locatin and will share the info.

Randy

UPDATE.... looks like sdp and I will be ice diving here at the end of Jan. 06'!! I will going for my basic Ice Diver certf. and sdp will be completing his Ice Diver Instr. certf.. Brrrrrrr

Wkndbum:
When I was there, Blue Water Divers had a "shack" on the ice about 2 blocks from their shop. They used a 4-wheeler & trailer to haul us & equip out. They had an ice hole cut (about 6' X 5') inside the shack that we dove in.
The new and improved Blue Water Divers ice shack. It accommodates a 6' by 8' hole.

Brrrr! Glad you had a good time. I have family who live there and after talking to them around the holidays I have to say diving around there never even crossed my mind!

LOL and to think we were complaining yesterday because our high temps this year have only been in the high 80s instead of 90 - 100's as usual :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom