Okoboji Aug 5th and 6th

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

skdvr

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My wife and I are heading to Lake Okoboji this weekend and I was looking for some guidence on dive spots. I would like something pretty easy because my mother-in-law ans her boyfriend will be diving with us and he will just be finishing up his OW and my mother-in-law has not dove in years (she will be diving with her boyfriend during his OW dives). Boat or Shore dives are welcome. Also wanted to know water conditions if possible. Thanks in advance for all the help... I hope everyone had a great weekend and next weekend is better...

Phil

Is there no one on here that knows Lake Okoboji???

Phil

I did my rescue diver certification at Lake Okoboji a couple of years ago. We stopped by Blue Water Divers before going shore diving to buy a dive flag, they were very helpful. I believe they offer boat dives on the lake for scuba divers. The site we did was called The Milford Tower. Visibility was so low at that time of year (September) that we practically ran into the tower. Several largemouth bass were hanging out there. It's fairly easy to find as there's a pipe you follow running out to the tower. We found a dive mask at this site.

There's another shore dive at The Inn at Okoboji. We didn't dive this site, but from what I've read there are two pipes that extend out from the shoreline that you can follow. My rescue diver certification was done at Terrace Park. Not sure I'd recommend it, not much to see. But access was easy and it was a good place to complete skills.

My biggest recommendation is to be extremely careful of boat traffic. We were there at the end of September, so there weren't a lot of boaters. But in the middle of summer, the lake is filled with boats. Just be very careful if you're surfacing away from shore. Here's a link to a couple of reviews on diving Lake Okoboji at Shore Diving.com. I did a search on google.com and found a few images of the tower: The Milford Tower

Hope this helps. Have fun!

Thanks for the info. I think that I am going to do some shore diving on Sat and then from my mother-in-laws boat on Sun. I will check with Blue Water DIvers for some other recommended dive sites. I was really thinking about checking out the tower, I hope that the vis is not to bad. I dove in Lake of the Ozarks this past weekend and the viz was about 1ft at 20ft. It was pretty creepy but pretty damn fun at the same time. We just hung out off my buddies dock and fed the fish.

Thanks again for the info Scubagal, it is greatly appreciated...

Phil

Diving at Okoboji was pretty good. The viz was good even though there was pretty heavy traffic. We lost a dive knife on the pipeline dive in front of The Inn at Okoboji. We followed it down to 60ft and it got really dark really fast. Had fun (except for losing the knife) Recommend diving in West Lake Okoboji. The folks at Blue Water Diver are very nice and helpful...

Phil

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom