Okinawa Wrecks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

japan-diver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Been doing a good amount of research on wrecks in the Okinawa area over the past few months. In this time we have confirmed numbers for at least 2 new divable wrecks (LST 447 and another unnamed wreck). We have also discovered a large debris field which has resulted in recovery of numerous Coke bottles dated from 1942-45, multiple small and large shell casing dating from WWII, 2 large mines among other things that tend to go boom.

Up until now the research has had limited cost- a few tanks of gas for the boat, lots of time, air.... We have now over three sets of numbers that need to be checked in deeper water. For this project we will need more divers and also renting a side scan sonar to more efficiently check the deeper sites - this costs money. Divers or those interested in joining on some of the dives or for boat crew or would like to loan us a side scan sonar (Y100,000 a day for rent- ouch) give me a hollar. Most dives will be beyond rec limits so appropriate training is required for divers.

Hi Japan-Diver,

This sounds really interesting. I will come by your shop next month after we get moved in down in Okinawa to talk to you about this.

Regards,
JD
:cool2:

I realize that this is an old post but has anyone made any more progress on wrecks in the vicinity of Okinawa? I've been doing some research and it seems like a fair number of ships were lost of the Keramas. Any word?

We have located two more wrecks and are now regularly diving them. We are also have two war wrecks tentatively ID'ed and dove. There are numerous sites currently being explored and dove looking for more. If you are interested in joining the dives contact us at Reef Encounters or me via PM. Many of the dives are deep and high current - all members of the dive team are highly skilled and experienced divers- many of the sites are below 40meters and require decompression dives to explore.

Back
Top Bottom