Okina Shima - where, what and why?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tassie_Rohan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi there -

Thinking of coming across to Kochi to visit a brother at the end of November. He's recommended a few days diving Okina Shima: where is it (okinawa?), whats the water temp (I have a drysuit and 3 mm - but have a feeling this is going to fall in between) and whats there to see - I've heard its 'subtropical/warm temperate': but any big fishies to annoy, any unique fauna or flora and any wreaks to poke around in?

If its in Okinawa then I apologise - let me know and i'll go read the other posts...

Cheers,
Rohan.

Tassie_Rohan:
Thinking of coming across to Kochi to visit a brother at the end of November. He's recommended a few days diving Okina Shima: where is it (okinawa?), whats the water temp (I have a drysuit and 3 mm - but have a feeling this is going to fall in between) and whats there to see - I've heard its 'subtropical/warm temperate': but any big fishies to annoy, any unique fauna or flora and any wreaks to poke around in?
Rohan.

Hi Rohan,

Okino-shima (not Okina Shima) is a group of a few small islands located off coast of Sukumo-city. It takes three hours by car from Kochi to get to Sukumo and one and a half hours by boat from Sukumo to Okino-shima.

Frankly speaking, I have not heard anything about diving in Okino-Shima. There are no diving shops on the islands, but some shops in Sukumo may send divers there. If your brother lives near the island, he may well know better than I do.

However, there is an excellent diving spot near Okino-shima. It's called Kashima-jima. It takes three hours and a half to get there from Kochi, passing through Sukumo and going further down south.

As you imagine, it's a subtropical island, and the water temp in November is 22-24 degrees in Celcius. You go crazy if you are a mac-diving fan 'cause you see Eurypegasus draconis (Little dragonfish), Hippocampus bargabanti (Pygmy sea horse), Periclimenes imperator (Emperor shrimp), Tozeuma armatum, etc. P/s see http://www.h-marine.jp/photo/photo_fr.html

Divers from all over Japan come and see them. It may not be famous outside the country, but every keen diver here knows this place.

ken chung ar

Thanks for that Ken - great photos and sounds interesting: I'm still yet to see a pygmy seahorse and am starting to believe that they are a hoax or urban myth... :) Will try to do both Kashima-jima and Okino-Shima if I get other there. I'm teaming up with a diver in the area that has a boat, so access should be no big problem.

Let me know of any other good dive spots in the region,

Cheers,
Rohan.

Hi Rohan,

Welcome to our forum.
There are many good diving sites from Kyushu to Okinawa nearby. For example, Yakushima, Amami-oshima, Okinoerabu-jima. etc///.
I' m going to Amami-Oshima in November. The best season is June to July and Oct. to Nov. You should take care of Typhoons when you will go anywhere here in Japan rather than Earthquakes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom