Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

VcRossi

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Planning my 1st trip to Cabos for mid-january. Wanted to ask where it's worth diving at this time of the year, and where to skip. From what I read so far, Cabo Pulmo is definitely better until november, so I will save it for another trip. Looks like I can still have some fun in Cabo San Lucas and La Paz. Any specific areas/sites I should avoid at this time of the year due to low viz, or it is all hit or miss? I don't mind low water temps. How about Gordo Banks, worth it in january?
My partner and I are AOW and feel comfortable diving strong currents (we experienced crazy ones in Nusa Lembongan and held up well). My brother just got his OW in Cozumel last week. We did a few dives together and I think he did well even in stronger currents, but I wouldn't want to throw him in more advanced sites or low viz. Are there enough beginner friendly sites in both CSL and La Paz?

Thanks!

Not sure about January but I was down there in April. Water was on the cold side - 68 to 72 deg F so temperature is one thing to look into. I had my 3mm. Not bad in the 72 deg water. Left it in the hotel for the 68 deg F dive. Refreshing! Got real close to my instabuddy.

I don't mind the cold water if the visibility is generally decent in january.

Are there enough beginner friendly sites in both CSL and La Paz?
My GF got certified with Sealions Dive Center in La Paz. We had a few days with great dives. Can recommend contacting them! Nice folks, fun trips, good sandwiches.

Any specific areas/sites I should avoid at this time of the year due to low viz, or it is all hit or miss?
I'm going with hit or miss. I've been to CSL twice - Jan. 2018 and Jan. 2022. I estimated the visibility in CSL Bay at 15-20', Cabo Pulmo at 20-25', and sites in the Corridor anywhere from 25-40'. Water temps are on the cool side with temps at 75º F, the highest I recorded, in Cabo Pulmo and down to 70º F in the Corridor and CSL Bay - my computer showed 69º a few times (I rented a 5mm wetsuit both times I went.) Also went to La Paz to see the whale sharks - water was murky. We had a better view, of the ones we saw, from the boat and not while in the water. The dive shop we used, Dive Cabo, said Gordo Banks wasn't worth going to this year as viz wasn't good and they weren't able to guarantee that hammerheads would be seen. I enjoyed diving the Corridor over the Bay. Unfortunately, I never saw one sea lion underwater diving in the Bay, but plenty on the surface.

Have included a link to my last trip report:

Back
Top Bottom