Ok weird one. Smurf gloves

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

amascuba:
A little bit of cristo-lube on the o-ring does wonders for donning and doffing.

Ahhhhh this way you preserve the integrity of your 02 clean Drysuit? :)

I use silicone grease on my rings... hopefully I don't blow up when I use a high 02 mix :wink:

Ben_ca:
Ahhhhh this way you preserve the integrity of your 02 clean Drysuit? :)

I use silicone grease on my rings... hopefully I don't blow up when I use a high 02 mix :wink:

Actually just used cristo-lube because the manual said not to use grease because the grease tends to attract dirt and that saliva was a sufficient lubricant. I haven't had good a good experience with saliva as a lubricant (shutup!) and I had cristo-lube handy. :)

I've alway really liked the three finger mitts and found them virtually as warm as any dry glove. That said, the Viking rings are simplicity itself, the DUI "zip lock" is cute but I don't expect it will hold up. The Smurfs are good, but I have extra large (not huge) hands and can just get them through the rings.

There's also something to be said about the blue gloves and signaling... It's alot easier to see what your buddy is trying to sign to you with Blue vs black gloves...

edit: spelling

Ben_ca:
There's also somehting to be said about the blue gloves and signaling... It's alot easier to see what your buddy is trying to sign to you with Blue vs balck gloves...

That's what my buddy said to me the first time I wore my gloves. :)

amascuba:
That's what my buddy said to me the first time I wore my gloves. :)

And as his buddy, yes, the blue is very nice and visable. Especially on our last night dive, they were soooo much easier to see that the usual neoprene gloves. I have my own pair on the way :)

I think one thing to be aware of with drygloves is that they will flood sooner or later, no matter what system you use. Drygloves are fairly common here (because bottom temps stay around 4C/42F(?) year-round. I haven´t talked to anyone who hasn´t flooded theirs yet...

I use thinsulate innergloves in mine. That means that my fingers will stay warm even when I´ve flooded the suit (I´ve done 60+ min dives with flooded gloves). It´s really nice to be able to say **** it and just keep descending if you notice that your gloves are leaking. A lot of people bring wetgloves on deeper/longer dives as a backup but I dont have to :D

The reason I use drygloves in the first place is that I have freaky wrists that let in water thru the wristseal when I move them...I use them year-round because it´s the only way to keep my drysuit dry...

Oh, I intend to use inner gloves to keep me somewhat warm if they flood.

Well, a couple of interesting developments.

I stopped by the local camping store this weekend (awesome place) and they had some gloves up on the wall. I told the sales guy what I was after and he led me to something that looked perfect. Product is by Mountain Hardware (they make a lot of technical gear for climbers and skiers) and called "Heavyweight Power Stretch Glove". It's a thin polartec. Keeps much of it's insulating value when wet, stretch, no seams in bad places, pretty warm, light (1.5oz per pair). I think they were about $25.

After talking with my instructor about this issue, he whips out the Si-Tech rings and gloves, and the Viking rings and gloves. Shows me how to hold my hand. I squeeze into the Si-Tech, and they fit, but I have no inner glove on. And it's tight. He says these are the smaller rings. I then try on the viking. They fit! So it looks like I have my solution.

Hopefully, I'll get a chance to try them out in a couple months.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom