Ok weird one. Smurf gloves

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I won't have a DUI suit, so I didn't really pay any attention to their gloves or ring system. What temps are the EKPP guys seeing?

TSANDM, my wrists are massive as well. I can't wear most watches because the bands are too short.

After careful consideration I decided to stay away from the dry gloves as well. Everyone I know who has a set has flooded one at least once. This could be a horrible thing on a deco dive in cold water. I watched a gentleman scream in pain as he attempted to move his fingers after his dry gloves failed and sent 45f water onto his hands for about 6 minutes. The rings were the other reason I didn't like them, they caught on everything when I watched guys trying to don gear with them. I have a set of 5mm hendersons that I trimmed the cuffs on to make donning easier. I've used them to 127ffw in 42f water without getting too cold to impair the use of reels, Etc. I'm a wreck diver so I enjoy not worrying about what I might touch that could cause damage to my gloves. Just my take on the issue.:eyebrow:

Very useful. I'll be diving wrecks as well. My instructor did some great lakes dives this summer and after a few days said he would refuse to dive unless he could have a set of drygloves.

Seems to be a love it / hate it thing. I don't know how it'll work out. I'm willing to try it and see. Nearly all the complaints I have heard came from NON-Viking systems.

I love my drygloves so far. I haven't experienced any of the issues that everybodies talking about. One thing that I do to equalize the pressure in the glove is to have the glove liner between the seal and my wrist. This equalizes the glove pretty well and you don't have a massive influx of air rushing to your gloves as you ascend or raise your hand to the highest point of your body.

Try using WRIST SEAL DRY GLOVES. They will not burst as gloves with rings and even a small leak will be as warm as a wet glove. A little bit tougher to install but when you the the hang of it, they are easy and simple to use. And the best is... if the ever leak, the suit stay dry. I had mines for two years now and only got a leak once because the seal was misplaced.

PerroneFord:
Nearly all the complaints I have heard came from NON-Viking systems.

Non-issue because Si Techs don't fit, but it does seem that the bayonet system that Lynne has with her Vikings works better than the o-ring seal on my Si Techs, at least judging by the fact that I have to redo at least one glove when we get in the water every time . . .

Lynne's gloves never seem to give her problems from a sealing standpoint, I'm thinking of switching over to the Vikings. Others to look at are Diving Concepts (I bet you could email them and ask their ring diameter), although they are a real pain in the butt to install (and the same goes for the glove side. That being said, it seems like the DC gloves work really well from a seal standpoint.

Can anyone measure one of these ring systems?

I just found out that I need 5" of diameter to get my paws through. For those who've dealt with computers long enough, that is the inner diameter of a 9 track tape write ring! :)

Mucho gracias.

Make sure you measure the ring on the glove and not the suit its smaller and I have yet to find a pair I can get over my knuckles have tried every make out there also makes it a lot harder to get your hand out of the Drysuit having the ring on there . As far as ballooning or crushing goes cut a piece of surgical tubing about 6 to 8 inches in length and once the suit is on run it on the inside of your forearm under the wrist seal and leave an inch or so sticking out once the glove is on this will allow you to equalize the gloves to a comfortable point. ( at least thats what most of the guys up here do who have the cuffs .

FIVE INCHES in DIAMETER????!!!! You haven't got hands, you've got paws!

My Viking rings, which are the largest diameter I know, are not quite 4" in diameter.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom