OK to Bounce Dive to 220 Fsw as...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Deep was part of my AOW...

130fsw baby.

No, it wasn't, unless you have a Deep Specialty Card. The intro is part of it, but that's not the whole Deep specialty. Those dives can count towards the specialty, so it's a shorter class, however.

I understand partial pressure isn't really the issue, since hyperbaric chambers help people heal and they are at 2.0

You may wish to revise that opinion.... I had a long chat with a chamber operator a couple of years ago about a few things.

For example, they quite happily use decongestants to help people clear on the descents. If someone is unconscious, they don't really care - ruptured eardrums are common and essentially is a lesser of two evils.

Nearly as common as a ruptured ear drum is toxing - chambers are controlled environment, the patient starts toxing and then the attendant removes the O2 supply for the duration of the tox event. When the patient recovers, they put the mask back on and keep breathing O2 until they tox again. This doesn't necessarily always occur, depending on the treatment, but it's not uncommon.

Underwater, that first tox event would probably kill you. On deeper dives, keeping your ppO2 at 1.2 is very prudent. When you're cold, working hard and stressed you are way more likely to tox on lower ppO2s than in a chamber.

By the way, those of you talking about 300ft+ on air is for real men... pussies, the lot of you. Harden up and do at least 400ft. :mooner:

He was maybe 45 yrs old, probably 5' 3 to 5 5" and almost surely went 300 lbs! (he was from New York I think)

Non-sequitur much?

I just assumed all 45 year olds from New York weighed about 300 lbs. Is that not the case?

But hey, if Hal Watts was with him and they planned their dive and dived their plan, it is all good. :cool2:

I was sitting at a table of beginner and newly acquired advanced level divers

First, people with AOW cards are not "advanced level divers" rather they have passed Advanced Open Water, which is akin to "Intro to Diving, Part 2"

...the instructor told one of the divers it would be fine to drop down to 220 and come right back up…

Did the instructor tell them "it can be done" or did he tell them "they can do it"? Two wildly different things. The former is essentially true with proper gear, training, and gas supply (as long as by "come right back up" he meant "including necessary stops") but the latter is horribly irresponsible.

Real men bounce to at least 300'.

But only if diving an AL80 filled with air.

:eyebrow:

Funnily enough, when Bret Gilliam did his "bounce" dive to 464 feet on air, he used a single tank. :shocked2:

I was sitting at a table of beginner and newly acquired advanced level divers (they were rewarded their advanced cards at dinner) the instructor told one of the divers it would be fine to drop down to 220 and come right back up…

What are the issues here especially if the diver is pretty overweight and out of shape…

Surely you misunderstood. Did you go back and clarify with the instructor what you thought you heard? IMHO, IF the instructor said this, and IF the diver went out and tried this and had an accident, I can see a potential lawsuit against the instructor and LDS.

Carrie

I was sitting at a table of beginner and newly acquired advanced level divers (they were rewarded their advanced cards at dinner) the instructor told one of the divers it would be fine to drop down to 220 and come right back up…

What are the issues here especially if the diver is pretty overweight and out of shape…

There is no problem at all bouncing to 220 fsw ... not even for the beginner diver.

Coming back up, however, might be a problem.

Potential issues would include ...

- narcosis
- running out of air
- potential panic
- ignorance

Chances are pretty reasonable that you'd make it if nothing goes wrong ... but the margin for error on a dive like that is pretty much nil.

A couple years back I had a friend who tried a bounce dive to 200 fsw with a few friends ... one of whom was an instructor. Everything went just fine on the way down. They hit the bottom, started back up ... then my friend Chad noticed one diver was missing. He went back down and found Steve sitting on the bottom, narc'ed out of his mind. Chad grabbed him and started back up. At about 160 fsw, Chad ... who was working pretty hard pulling Steve up with him ... ran out of air. His last act was to inflate Steve's BCD, shooting him to the surface.

Steve spent the night in the chamber.

Chad's body was found 10 months later ... half-buried in the silt at 205 fsw.

You can find a long thread about that adventure somewhere in the Incidents and Accidents forum. I suggest you show it to your friend.

His instructor's name isn't Dave, by any chance, is it?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom