OK to Bounce Dive to 220 Fsw as...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's not 220 (150, IIRC), but don't they do bounce dives at the Blue Hole all the time in Belize?

Not defending the practice, which I think is a terrible idea, just noting that it's done regularly with at least a semi-reasonable safety record. (At least, I'm not hearing about people getting bent or dead left and right after those dives... or perhaps "hearing from the survivors" would be a better way of putting it!)

Just some of the dead there:

Dahab Blue Hole remembrance plaques on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

It's not 220 (150, IIRC), but don't they do bounce dives at the Blue Hole all the time in Belize?

Not defending the practice, which I think is a terrible idea, just noting that it's done regularly with at least a semi-reasonable safety record. (At least, I'm not hearing about people getting bent or dead left and right after those dives... or perhaps "hearing from the survivors" would be a better way of putting it!)

I hear the typical dive there is ~130ft to get to the stalactite structures on the underside of the ledge. That's precious little bottom time at NDL, not to mention rock bottom reserves. Don't think I'd do that dive.

Funny, the left sidebar banner is screaming "BELIZE - BLUE HOLE BARGAIN -SAVE $700" to me as I type.

I would like to hear/read the actual statement your instructor said. If he said, blanketly, that its FINE to do a bounce dive to 220 fsw, than I would find another instructor. There are a couple of problems with this:

1. He is a recreational diver and instructor. To make that statement in front of your students is unprofessional. It may have been acceptable if he gave justifications, spoke about different gases, and discussed further training. But that discussion would not be one he should conduct professionally.
2. Narcosis is a big deal and, from my experience, at its strongest point when you first arrive at depth. Air at 220 fsw is crippling.
3. The PO2 is too high at 220 ft (1.61). 1.4 is the maximum allowable P02 for the working portion of the dive, and for good reason. Some people suffer oxtox at 1.5, other at greater than 1.8. Deco PO2 is allowed to reach 1.61 (02 at 20fsw) but some people do not like to breath at such high P02's for the same reason. I have personally experienced oxtox symptoms at 20fsw breathing 02, but that is a different story for a different time. Hyperbaric chambers may exceed 1.61 but they do it in a CONTROLLED environment while controlling a number of variables.

Your instructor is wrong to claim going to 220 fsw is fine. I hope no one took him seriously, but I guess I will monitor CDNN for any accidents...

I hear the typical dive there is ~130ft to get to the stalactite structures on the underside of the ledge. That's precious little bottom time at NDL, not to mention rock bottom reserves. Don't think I'd do that dive.

Funny, the left sidebar banner is screaming "BELIZE - BLUE HOLE BARGAIN -SAVE $700" to me as I type.

My Blue Hole dive in Belize, was to 130 fsw for eight minutes. Followed by a leisurely shallow (aka safety stop) swim for 25-30 minutes. We did two more shallow drift dives later. Didn't hear about anyone having DCS issues during the ride back. They pretty much had the timing down to a science, I think that keeps them out of trouble.

I've done many "bounce dives" to around 200 ft on air. For most people, once they get past 180 ft, narcosis can be a really big issue. I am definitely buzzed at 220.

To tell typical open water divers that it is no big deal to bounce to 220 is really stupid and being fat does not help.

About 15 yrs ago I was a dive master on a charter boat and Hal Watts ( deep air instructor) brought a student out to attempt a personal best 300 ft dive on air while descending down a weighted line which was drifting in the gulf stream in 350 ft of water. When I heard about the dive plan, I decided I was NOT going in the water and would remain on the deck. When the student arrived, I about had a heart attack.

He came walking down the dock toward the boat and appeared to be entirely nude! As he continued to approach, I was ever so slightly relieved to see that he was actually wearing a speedo suit, however it was entirely obscured by his huge gut which flopped over it.

He was maybe 45 yrs old, probably 5' 3 to 5 5" and almost surely went 300 lbs! (he was from New York I think) .When I saw him, all I could think was I'm NOT doing mouth-to-mouth on that hairy fat bastard (I was seriously considering bailing on the entire trip.)

We set them up, dumped them in the water and in a relatively short period of time, they all made it back to the surface and excitedly reported that they had made it to 300 ft! So I guess it is OK for fat guys to do deep bounce dives.

So I guess it is OK for fat guys to do deep bounce dives.

Yes, extensive scientific testing has conclusively determined that you can bounce down to a depth equal to your body weight. For you metric types, this means you can bounce deeper than us imperial folks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom