OK to Bounce Dive to 220 Fsw as...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Could be......assuming that doing that dive gave them a false sense of security. But maybe it will help them become more confident divers.

What's that saying about "old divers and bold divers"??

:shakehead:

Tried touch&go to 220' when I was less then 50 dives. I dont call that diving though, its more of a bungie jump thrill seeking crazy thing.

Not that it wasn't fun touching such depths back then, but the limitations on Deco with a single tank would then screw up the whole dive and at the end you realise its just not worth, and I'm not mentioning the huge risks involved.. Just not worth and those who did it know it.

I think RJP hit this one on the head "There are old divers, there are bold divers, however there are no old, bold divers....." Remeber your most important tool for diving is you head. Use it.

I think RJP hit this one on the head "There are old divers, there are bold divers, however there are no old, bold divers....." Remeber your most important tool for diving is you head. Use it.

I'm just glad ScubaBoard wasn't around when Jacques Cousteau was getting started. After reading a couple of the threads on here he may have given up on his ideas, inventions, and explorations once he realized he could die on almost any dive and everything he was probably doing was against the "rules".

I would imagine there are plenty of old bold divers. They just don't hang out on ScubaBoard.

Are you sure you understood the context of this discussion?

Was the instructor saying this is no big deal perhaps you should try it?

Was he just using this theoretical scenario to discuss PPO2 and limited N2 loading?

I have a hard time believing that he was suggesting this as something appropriate for the students at that table.

By the way, being over weight and out of shape would be the least of my concerns with this scenario.

The Op is a troll.

How can you tell?

Easy:

1- The ridiculous premise of the topic by a low post count new member, which is controversial at best, and incredibly dangerous and stupid at worst.

2- Throwing in "that an instructor said it", which is just additional fuel for the fire, likely aimed at casting a wider net and scooping up some instructor members into the mix who would say "No instructor would suggest that!"

3- The overweight and out of shape was just to make the idea seem even more foolhardy and get a few more members to respond who might have otherwise simply chuckled at the silliness and moved on to the next thread.

I have noticed that most respondants on this thread did not take the troll bait and react with an emotional knee jerk response as do many if not most inexperienced forum newbies; rather the experienced and knowledgeable ScubaBoard members turned the topic into a useful and interesting discussion.

That's how you do it folks.

Dash it all, I came onto this thread expecting to see a troll post followed by a ritual flaming.

*Sigh*

Well you got the troll post but the Op walked away disappointed. I don't recall seeing even one member take the bait and respond by flaming. He "could" convince himself that he got a very active multipage thread out of the deal but he'd only be fooling himself if he thinks thats any measure of success. All he succeeded in doing was provide an interesting topic for discussion.

The Op is a troll.

How can you tell?

C'mon, if he was REALLY a troll he would have asked if he should wear split fins and use an Air2 while doing it!

:eyebrow:

C'mon, if he was REALLY a troll he would have asked if he should wear split fins and use an Air2 while doing it!

:eyebrow:

LOL and also if he should use Nitrox since it's a deep dive and if he should carry a Spare Air for safety

Surely a troll is someone who posts under a second id to say something (s)he doesn't want to say under their normal id? Not just someone who is deliberately pulling our collective chain?

Surely a troll is someone who posts under a second id to say something (s)he doesn't want to say under their normal id? Not just someone who is deliberately pulling our collective chain?

A person may choose to utilize a dual (second user ID) on a board specifically for the purpose of inflamming others (trolling) or supporting their own posts (sock puppet).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom