OK so whats the best beach viz in FL

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have to say Blue Heron Bridge, especially at night. The neighborhood is not good though. As far as the viz is concerned, I would say that depends on how far you are willing to swim, and whether or not you can be arranged to be picked up several miles north of where you go in. Palm beach will give you the shortest swim to blue water, but its about 3/4 of a mile out and there is usually at least some current.

vr24:
After diving MANY, MANY different spots off the beaches from Hollywood to Lauderdale By The Sea, I would say Lauderdale By The Sea is easily the WORST spot for beach diving.

I would visit Dania, John Lloyd, or Hollywood for some good beach diving. North Fort Lauderdale isn't terrible, but it's a good swim out, and the good spots of the reef are quite scattered, if you can't do 1:30 underwater, don't waste your time with it.

You had to have been in the wrong spot. The reef on the south side of the pier is the best I have seen for a shore dive, with 3-4 foot relief in some spots. I have dove Hollywood and Dania, and I didnt find it nearly as good.

Ginnie Springs, maybe? Somewhere freshwater like Ocala, Chrystal River where it boils out like tap water. The shores of the river.

I like to guess. But it used to be really clear. and cold. If I have the name right. where all the armadillos are....and gators ...and raccoons. I used to dive it with my daddy, but it has been awhile. There were caves.

Tienuts:
You had to have been in the wrong spot. The reef on the south side of the pier is the best I have seen for a shore dive, with 3-4 foot relief in some spots. I have dove Hollywood and Dania, and I didnt find it nearly as good.
Actually, as you head even further south (like by my building) the relief can be 4-5 feet high in some places. The vis ranges from 10-30 feet. Which for a shore dive is pretty darn good.

@ Catherine - I don't theink the OP meant for springs dives... obviously, the viz in a spring would be better than the ocean.

I have dove lauderdale by the sea many times, including my certification dives, which of course included a guide/instructor. North and South of the pier, first and second reef, it's easily the worst one around.

Johnson street has 4-6 foot relief, is nearly as close to shore, plus has the "yellow brick road" and the rock pile which is 10 feet of relief, tons of ledge systems, and almost never a traffic jam underwater.

Dania has THREE ledge systems available, the furthest one is 6+ feet in some parts, plus the middle system has way more, and better coral than LBTS, and the eurojacks can be included in the dive as well, if you start at the jacks, swim them to the ledge, then the ledge South of the pier, back into the lot.

Maybe YOU are diving the wrong spots, lol :) No offense to you guys, I mean, LBTS is extremely popular and many stand by it, but in my opinion, it's not even remotely close to as nice.

Oh, and this was about best beach visibility, from my experience, Dania typically has the best vis during questionable weather.

My vote is for Venice. Lots of life, if you're patient enough to look for it. And, of course, lots of dead sharks too!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom